Cascade stand I've been contemplating

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was asked by a friend to come up with something a little different for a cascade stand. I've toyed around with a few ideas, and recently drew this one up in Corel. If I were to make it, I'd use Black Walnut and not the wood/color shown in the fill. The angled piece under the "shelf" would 3/4" thick and would come out at a 90 degree angle from the back piece.
Any feedback (good or bad) would be appreciated

Attachments

• stand2.jpg
    stand2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 258

bisjoe

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Ah, another woodworker.

Keep in mind that if you make it too nice, it will take attention away from the tree. It's a great design,
but I'd simplify it. I love doing veneer inlay work and have to force myself to avoid using it for bonsai stands.

jjbacoomba

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like this!! Use of a darker wood like walnut might be able to keep focus on the bonsai while adding ro the beauty of the display

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the input guys
I do think that this stand in black walnut will fade more into the background for sure. The little blocks on top of the shelf represent the trap rock ridges that are common in my area, and figured it would give me a place to rout in an alum. angle for support if needed. I added the angled support underneath because it seemed too precarious without it, even though I was trying for that feeling somewhat

sfhellwig

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have been meaning to add my opinion and finally have a minute to type. I like the idea. Quite the departure from any cascade stand I have seen as the typically look like a stool simply to elevate. Not that that is bad, it is not supposed to be the focus. But this catches the eye and if done properly does hint at "hanging from a cliff." As the other said keep it low key, dark stains. My only concern would be the stability. I like to build test pieces and a quick mock-up in plywood will show you if your dimensions and plant will teeter. I'm sure finding any cascade knocked over is not fun but this design looks like if it were to topple, it would surely drop the pot then fall on top of it. Maybe go for a concealed pot retainer and ground attachment. I see cascades tied down with wire or twine and while it may be necessary I think it messes up the whole image. I like the idea, I will keep this away for future reference.

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's my first attempt at my cascade stand. Because the height of the table it sat on, the space between the bottom and the shelf was less then my original "sketch".

Attachments

• juniper.jpg
    juniper.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 104

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice but, I'd remove the "wall" above the shelf (left of the bonsai pot). It doesn't help any IMHO.

Cmanz

Yamadori
Reaction score
Looks good. I like the more simplified design.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Yes! and I agree that the backboard behind the tree itself adds little.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I like the concept of both, but would prefer the first. One thought tho -- the sharp corners/edges make me uncomfortable, perhaps it would be more comfortable with them being rounded?

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the comments everyone, I do appreciate them all.
The "wall" is supposed to represent a cliff wall and I'm not sure that I'd like it without it. I also think it helps balance it out and gives it a little weight to that side, but do do believe it should/could be made "lighter" by maybe angling it to a point or something IDK

This is just sort of a prototype and I did think as I was making it that if the wall was too high didn't work I could just cut it down.

Attachments

• juniper cut.jpg
    juniper cut.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 46

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Always interesting to come to a thread that has pretty much come to an end, full of great opinions and yet one feels they have to add to it! LOL

I like the first design a lot! The only trouble i have with it is the tree proposed to go in it.
What I see in the balance of the tree and the stand is the difference between the semi cascade
as illustrated, and what I think a true full cascade would bring. I feel the height of the stand's back wall would perfectly balance with a true cascade.

beautiful work and thanks for sharing :)

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks for the comments everyone, I do appreciate them all.
The "wall" is supposed to represent a cliff wall and I'm not sure that I'd like it without it. I also think it helps balance it out and gives it a little weight to that side, but do do believe it should/could be made "lighter" by maybe angling it to a point or something IDK

This is just sort of a prototype and I did think as I was making it that if the wall was too high didn't work I could just cut it down.

I think what you might note if you start really studying Chinese and Japanese furniture that are used for bonsai stands is that there is rarely a simple, flat board surface unless it is the center panel of the stand.

The solid surface vertical you have there has too much visual weight and it blocks light from hitting the tree from one side.

I would suggest that you make the vertical surface more of a suggestion of a cliff rather than an actual representation of one. A single thin line rising in a bit more off-kilter way would be more evocative to me than a large plank of wood. You see this same idea in a 1/2 moon stand design.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like the concept of both, but would prefer the first. One thought tho -- the sharp corners/edges make me uncomfortable, perhaps it would be more comfortable with them being rounded?
I have the opposite opinion. I think the angular shapes on the upright part to the left side of the concept give it a sense of being on a cliff or rock outcropping.
But your work looks very well done. Nice job!

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

I like this concept, but I think I would like it better if the wall was a fair bit shorter than the tree.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would remove the wall completely so the tree sits on a platform. The wall to me distracts from the tree. With the tree on a platform only it looks like more of the focal point. Albeit with a nice stand under it.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't have much to add. I like the stand. And very cool juniper as well. I wonder if the stand would have the same feel if you raised the platform, but kept a slender sidewall supporting, since people seem to like it better without the wall.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would be interested in having that same stand with a higher back and commissioning Sawgrass to make a small scroll to hang on it - I really like the design, just see it that way.

Grimmy

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think what you might note if you start really studying Chinese and Japanese furniture that are used for bonsai stands is that there is rarely a simple, flat board surface unless it is the center panel of the stand.

The solid surface vertical you have there has too much visual weight and it blocks light from hitting the tree from one side.

I would suggest that you make the vertical surface more of a suggestion of a cliff rather than an actual representation of one. A single thin line rising in a bit more off-kilter way would be more evocative to me than a large plank of wood. You see this same idea in a 1/2 moon stand design.

This stand was never designed to copy Chinese or Japanese furniture. There are plenty of people making stands like that out there. I just wanted to design something a little more American with a nod to the aesthetics of Oriental design.
I agree the back piece may be a little heavy handed in that respect. But I do like the height and the angles it creates, and like I said earlier, I also believe it needs the weight it creates. To me, it isn't that high that it blocks any light, but gives a feeling as to why the tree is going that way.
I never made it thinking everyone would like it. I've been doing bonsai long enough to know that would never happen :) But a couple of times at our show I noticed people looking at the tree and stand, and from afar and you could see that they were discussing the angles and such, and that made me happy.

Top Bottom