cascade virginiana

Reaction score
found this eastern red cedar in kentucky. i think i'm going to train it in this large pot..

Attachments

• IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0829.jpg
    IMG_0829.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 128

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Looks good Cat. I think I'll give them a try next spring in a forest planting. Your cascade looks nice.

Thanks

DaveV.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Western vs Eastern

Hey Cat, maybe we should compare the Eastern cedar vs the Western Red or maybe the yellow? I see that some folks pinch the foliage but I'd love to try a more natural look.
Cheers G

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
The eastern red cedar is NOT a cedar. It is a juniper.

This is a very nice specimen. Enjoy it. They're usual arros straight and conical and only marginally useful as bonsai.

Reaction score
eastern red cedar or juniperus virginiana has a considerably less compact habit than some of the other junipers commonly used in bonsai. they are strong plants but they tend to get cedar apple rust which, as far as i can tell, will usually not kill the tree. i dont have much experience with junipers so its a lot of trial and error usually. i had one die over the winter and i'm not exactly sure what caused its death. they seem to be hardy to very low temperatures. i speculate that i may have over-worked the roots, which is why i'm leaving this one in a larger pot and no root work has been done since it was collected in spring 2010. i really like this one so i'm trying to take it slower. i feed it alternately with organic and chemical fertilizer. it has responded well to pruning and pinching. i have read that its difficult to train one in a cascade because of being so apically dominant but this one is developing fine so far and the cascading branch is showing no signs of weakness.

here is an earlier image of the same plant

Attachments

• Photo0252.jpg
    Photo0252.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 44

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
this tree is so full of promise. especially since you have not had it long and the supposed complications you appear to be overcoming. i like it already can't wait to see its progression.

Reaction score
this tree is so full of promise. especially since you have not had it long and the supposed complications you appear to be overcoming. i like it already can't wait to see its progression.

thanks, me too, for now at least.

Top Bottom