Cascade + windswept?

Tbuckley

Seedling
Reaction score
Originally had the styling windswept but decided to add some pads in the long branch which is a cascade style. Not sure if I should adjust the smaller branches that are windswept and make them upright or keep it as is and let it go from there. Design thoughts? The large branch comes out 90 degrees from the main stem so I wouldn’t be able to align it with the main trunk.

Attachments

• 6A7D2090-C1C2-451A-A8D2-2220DB178230.jpeg
    6A7D2090-C1C2-451A-A8D2-2220DB178230.jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 6C31B587-F512-4AF8-A1DD-6BDC2A4C004B.jpeg
    6C31B587-F512-4AF8-A1DD-6BDC2A4C004B.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 577F29E3-CCFA-4513-B5BD-E3BEA12C9A40.jpeg
    577F29E3-CCFA-4513-B5BD-E3BEA12C9A40.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 31

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Nice start with a juniper.
Now you need to stop fiddling with it. Every time you bend a branch you create internal damage. Bending branches back and forth enough times can cause enough damage to kill the branch, esp when wiring is not great. Junipers in particular are prone to branches dying after bending while they are actively growing in spring and summer. Hopefully yours has settled after the early season growth and your bending was gentle enough so it won't die back from this bending.
Design thoughts? The large branch comes out 90 degrees from the main stem so I wouldn’t be able to align it with the main trunk.
The right angle doesn't show up on the front view but will in real life. I'm having a little trouble coming to grips with straight sections combined with sudden bends.
Junipers are generally very flexible (until they get older and harden) so I think you should be able to bend that right angle back at least half way with proper wire and wiring if that would help the design. Adding other opposite bends in the lower trunk or further out on that branch would also help to straighten the trunk line if that's appropriate.
All those lower branches coming up and over seems a little contrived too. I would probably remove at least half of those lower branches but maybe not all now as it needs to rest for a while after the current round of work.

Tbuckley

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yeah you’re right I do need to stop fiddling with it haha!
this is really my first styling from scratch so learning as I go.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Obligatory wiring help:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Thanks for the reply. Yeah you’re right I do need to stop fiddling with it haha!
this is really my first styling from scratch so learning as I go.
Most of us understand the urges and compulsions of beginners. We all started there at some stage though many seem to have forgotten over time.
I mention letting it rest as I've seen many beginners love their first tree to death. Important to let them be, especially after disruption like first styling.
Keep trying things and keep learning as you go.

Top Bottom