Cascade/Wooden grow pot for training

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What color is that, pray tell?
Uh, whatever he uses to dye reddish brown. I can't find the conversation to nail it down.
Doesn't matter, I need to just up and order one. Oh wait, no, I'm ordering another JWP tomorrow:rolleyes:
and I can't pot this cascade up next year :)

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I worked on the upper half today somewhat.
The 2nd pic is of a branch that's part of the lower right pad of the upright tree
that will be removed. It is making that pad too heavy I think.
The jin was a secondary branch to the front of the pad, so it was quite a heavily populated branch.
DSC_7105.JPG

DSC_7107.JPG

DSC_7104.JPG

DSC_7102.JPG

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It appears I've failed to update this thread
with pictures of the Sara Rayner pot i got last year, having used the poll thread taking a census between the SR pot and a Chinese pot.
Anyway, I repotted mid May this year, and am just now doing some pruning, mostly minor and some light thinning throughout. Sorry, don't have a good before pic.

20220911_142914.jpg20220911_141443.jpg20220911_152120.jpg20220911_141401.jpg20220911_141426.jpg20220911_153625.jpg
I removed one of the cascading branches, and wired another left, into the void demonstrated in the next to last pic.

I really like the direction much of this is going in. The SR pot is a good look and feel too. Nice texture.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Oh dddear...
Last night my wife and I were sitting on the porch and I said my cascades' colour looks off.
It has been sluggish to push plump new growth this year.
I just chalked that up to history, the Spring following the previous repot. I was wrong...
20230509_174018.jpg
See the smears. It is infested.
I've been so concentrated on treating needle cast, that I didn't check for mites :confused:20230509_175547.jpg

Compared to the one next to it, it's obvious.
Still due to the weakened state the following year after repot I say.

20230509_175604.jpg

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
how has this tree over this summer?

and uhhhh do you take commissions for grow pots? That is a thing of beauty!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
LOL the grow pot is just an extension of my wood working.
Thank you.

This summer/year as I mentioned in your thread, has been a little stymied. It seems to be sensitive to repotting + this unusually dry Spring brought the worst infestation of spider mites I've ever had.
This cascade is the 2nd hardest hit by the mites. I'm afraid that had I not left the foliage heavy from last year, that it might not have made it. It lost a bit of colour and I realised the malathion I had used initially, had been mixed up and left over from last year. Wait a week, rotate to insecticidal soap, then 3rd wk fresh malathion. End of a month went by and I rotated in a third miticide for trees and shrubs. Finally...very little trace of mites remained, then after a 2nd application, all traces were gone. Juniper suffered (mostly), somewhat. Hardest hit was a Sargent juniper. Everything got Mancozeb this evening.

20230801_210312.jpg
20230801_210334.jpg20230801_210436.jpg
Here it is candid this evening.
The vibrancy just isn't there I would expect this time of year. We did just have a 110F heat index less than a week ago, but it's more the sucking mites that stymied it this time.
This is the tree that alerted me to the mites with lackluster.
Anyway, I'd love to be thinning on this a month ago...but no. It is not in recovered mode. It put out new growth yes, but not vibrantly. More slow and behind the others. I do want to do some light wiring to get the pot more visable. Nothing heavy .

Top Bottom