Cascading Help

MaxTheSpy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ive been working with this one a while, and I would like some advice on how to form this tree, pruning advice and all. Should I keep it as it is and repot it or should I go about leveling some branches.

Attachments

• 17857766_633615023501048_1450445501_n.jpg
    17857766_633615023501048_1450445501_n.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 85

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You need to go down that cascading branch and pick which sub-branches are going to be your secondary branches. Prune the ones you don't want but don't prune too much. Leave about half or slightly more of the foliage on that branch. You can prune more next year if you want.

Then you need to put some wire on that main branch and put some interesting bends in it.

As for repotting, how long has it been in that pot and what kind of soil is it in?

MaxTheSpy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You need to go down that cascading branch and pick which sub-branches are going to be your secondary branches. Prune the ones you don't want but don't prune too much. Leave about half or slightly more of the foliage on that branch. You can prune more next year if you want.

Then you need to put some wire on that main branch and put some interesting bends in it.

As for repotting, how long has it been in that pot and what kind of soil is it in?
I'm not sure how long it's been in the pot. Maybe 5 years or so maybe more. It started out as my dad's plant and I've almost adopted it since last year.

Should you be able to see the trunk in-between the different levels?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm not sure how long it's been in the pot. Maybe 5 years or so maybe more. It started out as my dad's plant and I've almost adopted it since last year.

If it's been 5 years then a repot is probably a good idea. Yes you need to pick some branches that will eventually form your foliage pads.

However, if you do repot, just do a little bit of pruning. Dont remove more than 25% of the foliage and let the tree recover fora year before you prune more.

MaxTheSpy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If it's been 5 years then a repot is probably a good idea. Yes you need to pick some branches that will eventually form your foliage pads.

However, if you do repot, just do a little bit of pruning. Dont remove more than 25% of the foliage and let the tree recover fora year before you prune more.
Alright, I might end up repotting it into a deeper but skinnier put so that it isn't laying on the ground so much when I move it onto a table.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Yes. Part of reason for thinning branches is to see main trunk and main secondary branches. Part is to get light to all foliage and most important on cascade part of tree. Upper "apex" part should have minimum of foliage to send energy down to cascade foliage. If repotting/root pruning and also pruning branches would suggest removal of upper foliage first with less down below at same time;).

Top Bottom