Cascading Juniper

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A while back (bout 5 years) my parents frequent this one asian market that sold pre bonsai material. This guy is a landscaper who collects unwanted trees and plants from his client work sites. He collected a juniper my parents fell in love with and bought it 5 years ago for about $40 bucks. They wanted me to just repot it into a pot they provided and said they wanted to leave it like that forever and let it grow longer and longer. Well, 5 years later, when I saw it; I just about almost dropped my jaw. It was extremely long and grown to be quite a crazy tree! I suggested to them to please either let me do something to it or they do something to it; but, it simply can't just be left alone! I never really worked with junipers mainly because they are ridiculously painful to work with (I break out in a rash after working with them). But like I said, something needed to be done so here goes...

This is what it looks like in July 2013. This is the front of the tree (What I want as the front).
XoR4Nsgl.png

This is what it looks like July 2013. This is the back of the tree
jbxzZvAl.jpg

I definitely chose the first picture as my front out of the 3 possible vantage points. I felt that I was really uneasy about doing any sort of pruning and restyling during this time as it was seriously hot in mid summer. Also, this was my parents tree, it was incredibly stressful because my parents had this tree for 5 years and their goal was to let this thing grow until time ends, and then here I am suggesting something be done about it. I couldn't fail my parents so I think I spent about another 2 to 3 weeks planning! Well it ended up being all for nothing. I didn't do anything until the beginning of 2014.

When I finally put scissor to tree it was early April 2014, this is what it came out to be. I had to really thin out the pads because it was incredibly dense.
CtmgkJil.png

Several months later, in late July 2014, the juniper really filled out nicely! My parents couldn't have been more happy.
INq2sD4h.png

Flash forward to early February 2015.
4SS8NpMh.png

Can't leave out a pic showing snow, simply beautiful.
cu2d6WZh.png

Also! This is what I did with the clippings. I rooted them and almost all of them took. I made them into a group forest planting.
s105oHMh.png

This year, I plan to repot this tree because it's been 5 years since I potted this juniper for my parents. I definitely do plan to get a round pot; however, I can see this on taller pot as well. I am not entirely sure and would love to get some insight!

The other thing I'd love to do to this tree is to thin in out a bit more and work on some branch work on the pads. But the more I look at it, the more I love the bushiness of it all. What I really like is, how time naturally drooped the branches. I would also love to hear any insights!

Lastly, I know that to apex needs to be worked on. But I think I may need to let it fill in a bit more this year or the next.

I am really happy with the outcome. I know my parents are. This tree still has a long way to go.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I plan on putting this tree into a plastic training pot because the pot it is in now is incredibly big and not really appropriate. Since it's been so long since its last repotting, it's time to get this guy out and into something more appropriate. It's mid-late-march, we're hitting all 60-70s this week. Would now be considered a good time to repot this guy? Or am I just being impatient?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I plan on putting this tree into a plastic training pot because the pot it is in now is incredibly big and not really appropriate. Since it's been so long since its last repotting, it's time to get this guy out and into something more appropriate. It's mid-late-march, we're hitting all 60-70s this week. Would now be considered a good time to repot this guy? Or am I just being impatient?

I find it best to rarely repot those here but when I do it is always in the warm Summer months with good results.

Grimmy

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I find it best to rarely repot those here but when I do it is always in the warm Summer months with good results.

Grimmy

Thank you for the insight! I'll definitely wait for the right time to do so. I'll post a picture when I get a chance when I repot.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I wish that big one was in front ,

But I agree!

Nice Cascade too!

Sorce

It will be in the front if he turns the pot around. :)

On the cascade, I can never get a clear look at the lower trunk and base. How large is it? You might want to clear around it to show it, since that is one of the most important parts of a bonsai.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It will be in the front if he turns the pot around. :)

On the cascade, I can never get a clear look at the lower trunk and base. How large is it? You might want to clear around it to show it, since that is one of the most important parts of a bonsai.

I'll take a better picture showing the trunk and base. I'll give some reference to how big when I get a chance to get those pictures. Should be sometime this weekend.

Top Bottom