Cast your vote on this bunjin

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hey Rob, I think you had talked to Nick about this tree after the show last fall and I was just curious about what he had to say. I do like sawgrass's virt idea or something similar.

Hi Tom.. Nick loved this tree.. He called it "the perfect tree", but in a good way. Also, John is quite fond of this tree. Not to mention Hiromi Tsukada said "nice" :D. It is the different than normal qualities of this tree and the Japanese aesthetic combination that, I believe, makes people want to stop and look at it.

Rob

Here is a new pic of the tree. Taken right after the tree was brought out of winter storage.

DSC00012_zps7b99f035.jpg

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The uniquenss of the tree seems to make veryone stop and look at it.

One thing that I keep learning over and over,(sadly for me) is that if your tree has a unique feature, then unless it's an unattractive feature (and even then...) it's part of what sets the tree apart. I've cut off parts of a tree that I thought were flaws, only to find that it WAS the tree. Now the tree is "better" but isn't better for it....

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi Tom.. Nick loved this tree.. He called it "the perfect tree", but in a good way. Also, John is quite fond of this tree. Not to mention Hiromi Tsukada said "nice" :D. It is the different than normal qualities of this tree and the Japanese aestheic combination that, I believe, makes people want to stop and look at it.

Rob

Here is a new pic of the tree. Taken right after the tree was brought out of winter storage.

DSC00012_zps7b99f035.jpg

I knew he had liked it but I didn't quite hear what he had to say in it. In person it definitely has a very natural feeling to it. It's looking good just out of storage.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I knew he had liked it but I didn't quite hear what he had to say in it. In person it definitely has a very natural feeling to it. It's looking good just out of storage.

Not only is this tree beautiful, like Cindy Crawford and her mole, it's faults (which I cannot find) if they exist don't scream out at me. The entire image of the tree is classic. This kind of Kami is very difficult to produce within the parameters of the Bunjin and it exercise in minimalism. Very well done tree PLEASE DON'T DO ANYTHING ELSE TO IT. It's like putting a mustache on the Mona Lisa. What I mean by Kami is that the tree has a spirit like appearance to it that welcomes the viewer. It's not just simply a tree, or a bonsai tree, it is an experience to look at, and admire.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
One thing that I keep learning over and over,(sadly for me) is that if your tree has a unique feature, then unless it's an unattractive feature (and even then...) it's part of what sets the tree apart. I've cut off parts of a tree that I thought were flaws, only to find that it WAS the tree. Now the tree is "better" but isn't better for it....

Hi Judy, very well phrased and I know exactly what you are talking about. In fact, in a few minutes, in light of your reply, I will be posting a thread in the "General section". It might open up some new areas and room for discussion. At the very least, some beautiful trees to admire.

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Not only is this tree beautiful, like Cindy Crawford and her mole, it's faults (which I cannot find) if they exist don't scream out at me. The entire image of the tree is classic. This kind of Kami is very difficult to produce within the parameters of the Bunjin and it exercise in minimalism. Very well done tree PLEASE DON'T DO ANYTHING ELSE TO IT. It's like putting a mustache on the Mona Lisa. What I mean by Kami is that the tree has a spirit like appearance to it that welcomes the viewer. It's not just simply a tree, or a bonsai tree, it is an experience to look at, and admire.

Thank you Vance... This is probably one of the nicest comments I have received. Well, actually, that the tree received. I did not say bonsai, but tree. I would like to add one thing. When I first purchased this tree, we had discussed it at the nursery. It was a tall, straight bush. We explored different options. Leaving it as is, air layering, chopping etc. Upon running the options by the owner of the nursery. The mention of even air layering or chopping caught him off guard. He pointed to the trunk and said, this is old, this has taken along time. He suggested I really think about it before doing anything. I did think about it and decided to keep everything the tree had to offer.

I would like to say that it seems the seasoned bonsai artists and masters, like you, all love this tree. I have not meet one really experienced and respected bonsai artist/teacher who did not really like this tree.

Rob

Reaction score
my two cents

View attachment 32527
Rob, the biggest prob. for me with your tree is the
"ladder" look of your branches...
By this I mean, one on the left, one one the right,
one on the left, and another on the right.... and so on...
Not to mention seeing the trunk all the way up it.

Take your bottom right branch and bring it arround front
towards the viewer... remove the second branch up, on
the right... and thin out the foilage.
Done.

Oh, also remove or stub your large jin on the right in the
middle of your trunk.
I looks more elegant without it.

Lastly, you might consider a slab instead of the pot...
:)

i was thinking something similar. somehow i feel like the branches are too perfectly placed. i do like the pot however and i don't think you should shorten the tree, the apex looks fine to me. its so tall that to make the canopy wide and flat just doesnt make sense to me. i do also think the tree looks great just the way it is.

PLEASE DON'T DO ANYTHING ELSE TO IT. It's like putting a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

don't forget that two of the worlds most influential artists (marcel duchamp and salvador dali) did put a mustache on the mona lisa. just thought i would mention that. not really trying to make a definite point but i think its worth noting.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
i was thinking something similar. somehow i feel like the branches are too perfectly placed. i do like the pot however and i don't think you should shorten the tree, the apex looks fine to me. its so tall that to make the canopy wide and flat just doesnt make sense to me. i do also think the tree looks great just the way it is.

don't forget that two of the worlds most influential artists (marcel duchamp and salvador dali) did put a mustache on the mona lisa. just thought i would mention that. not really trying to make a definite point but i think its worth noting.

Thanks catfish..I think that is the beaty here... A natural, unusual tree with near perfect pad placement..lol..Makes you stop and look.

Also, I will not be adding a mustache to this tree.;)

Rob

Reaction score
I can paint one on your pot if you want ???

Reaction score
Currious Question though...
If this tree is the end all to be all...
why the need for the thread ?:confused:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

If you read some of these post you will find that not all people think this tree is the end all to be all.

Could take that point of view one step further in the other direction. If your tree is a Real POS, I know it, you know it, every body knows it why should there be a need for the thread? We can go to the middle of the road as well. If you tree is mediocre, I know it, you know it, every body knows it why should there be a need for the thread? The real question is: If you think the thread is irrelevant, I know it, you know it, every body knows it why should there be a need to comment on it?

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you read some of these post you will find that not all people think this tree is the end all to be all.

Could take that point of view one step further in the other direction. If your tree is a Real POS, I know it, you know it, every body knows it why should there be a need for the thread? We can go to the middle of the road as well. If you tree is mediocre, I know it, you know it, every body knows it why should there be a need for the thread? The real question is: If you think the thread is irrelevant, I know it, you know it, every body knows it why should there be a need to comment on it?

The point for my thread is that Rob, in his intial listing of this post
seemed to be a little unhappy with his tree and thought that it needed
some sort of change... Which is why he posted it, correct ???

Now... It's the greatest thing since sliced bread !!!

There have been a couple of threads regarding this tree, each asking
the same questions... So, obviously there is something here that Rob
doesn't like...

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score

See what happens when I leave a thread unattended for 1/2 a day.. It turns, ugly...;) Like leaving a new dog in an apartment for the first time.

Also, did I type something in my sleep..lol.. Something that made reference to a "be all" status. This is nothing of the kind.. Just a tall, straight bush I found at the nursery like 6-7 years ago for maybe $130, give or take, that I had a vision for. A little different that the norm.

Rob

Last edited:

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The point for my thread is that Rob, in his intial listing of this post
seemed to be a little unhappy with his tree and thought that it needed
some sort of change... Which is why he posted it, correct ???

Now... It's the greatest thing since sliced bread !!!

There have been a couple of threads regarding this tree, each asking
the same questions... So, obviously there is something here that Rob
doesn't like...

Sometimes trees evolve, sometimes our vision evolves, some times both. It is true that recently, I have wondered about taking the bottom 2 branches off. That doesn't mean I am unhappy with the tree. For example, the current front of the tree, is the second or third front. The tree still has all the elements and the essence is there, just different. The idea behind this post is to find out if a slightly different image will maintain or possibly enhance the essence of the tree. To get others artistic input.

Rob

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My vote is for #1 !!!! great tree. Don't guild the lily.

Reaction score
See what happens when I leave a thread unattended for 1/2 a day.. It turns, ugly...;) Like leaving a new dog in an apartment for the first time.

Also, did I type something in my sleep..lol.. Something that made reference to a "be all" status. This is nothing of the kind.. Just a tall, straight bush I found at the nursery like 6-7 years ago for maybe $130, give or take, that I had a vision for. A little different that the norm.

Rob
There is no turning ugly, was just asking a question...
Seeing that in your initial first post, you mentioned...
"over the last year or so, I have been thinking about cutting the bottom branches off".
That's all.

Which if someone was to read this... they would more than likely
come to the same conclusion.

Reaction score
Sometimes trees evolve, sometimes our vision evolves, some times both. It is true that recently, I have wondered about taking the bottom 2 branches off. That doesn't mean I am unhappy with the tree. For example, the current front of the tree, is the second or third front. The tree still has all the elements and the essence is there, just different. The idea behind this post is to find out if a slightly different image will maintain or possibly enhance the essence of the tree. To get others artistic input.

Rob
I understand... and don't get me wrong, I personally really like the tree.
I often do the same thing with alot of my trees, that is wonder what it would
look like if I did this, or did that...

But, I do this because I think there is a way the tree could be better...
That there is something that is still not right with the design, or that the
tree has out grown the original design and needs tweeking. Sometimes it
is just because I as an "Artist" have grown...

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I love what you've done with this. Peices like this inspire me.

Top Bottom