CastleGreens Pruning Shears

• Thread starter Deleted member 38190
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38190

Hi, I just got a Chinese elm bonsai, and I am looking to get some pruning shears. I found a few pruning shears but by far the one with the best reviews was the CastleGreens pruning shears. Can anyone tell me whether this is good, or should I look for a better quality one?

Link for the product: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GQFY2FQ?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

It looks like it has a 4.5-star rating, but I don't know. Has anyone bought these specific ones? If not, which ones do you recommend?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
D

Deleted member 38190

Ok. But how long will these last? Will they last until I'm ready to prune and re-pot? (upcoming spring)

D

Deleted member 38190

And when should I prune? I heard Chinese elms grow vigorously.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Virtually any good quality pair of scissors or kitchen shears will do in the beginning. The fancy bonsai scissors are essentially east Asian style household scissors.
If you can get tough pair like something at the hardware store with a nice sharp point to them, that will do. Even regular hand pruners will do.
The ones in the link you posted will do for leaf and bud pruning- the detail work- for a season, maybe two, but your tree isn't likely at that point yet.

Once you really get going, it will be worthwhile to buy some of the high quality expensive specialty tools. They are purpose made for situations you only run into doing bonsai.

D

Deleted member 38190

Ok

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
20210817_150834.jpg
Picked these up a couple weeks ago for something like $10. Don't recall exactly. Figure they'll do 90% of what I need until I feel like upgrading to the big leagues.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Elms are tough and can handle pruning most times the leaves harden off. A good practice tree.

I have a couple pair of scissors similar to thus you are considering. I tried to use them when I first started out. I put them aside in short order. Just weren’t versatile enough for my taste, nor strong enough for most jobs.

The scissors @Bonsai Nut indicated will last forever and be useful for most jobs in bonsai, these even have a lifetime guarantee! I have Kaneshin, but only because I inherited them.

At the museum the two tools used most are a decent pair of tweezers and a decent pair of scissors. I rarely ever have a need for secutours, but these could sub for tougher pruning.… likely not my first choice for a smallish elm... but that’s me…

cheers
DSD sends

D

Deleted member 38190

I just received them.. going to keep them until I repot my Chinese elm

Divide_by_zero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Even though I've invested quite heavily in Japanese tools over the years, I usually just use a ratty old pair of secateurs for pruning (the notch at the base of the blades even cuts wires) unless I'm working on refining a tree for a show or something. Then I'll pull out the big guns and get real detailed.

D

Deleted member 38190

Nice

Top Bottom