Catastrophic Losses This Year

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Josh88 - sorry for your losses.

I've been dabbling with bonsai since 1972. For one reason or another I've lost almost everything 3 or 4 times in my bonsai hobby career. Right now my collection looks like someone's who has only been in the hobby about 5 years. And I don't mind, bonsai is just something I enjoy doing, I don't pretend to be very good at it. I have trouble with long term consistency. I'm good for a few years at a stretch, then something will come along and disrupt my horticulture habits.

You can tell those of us who have lost large or valuable collections of trees or other plants by the sad expression in our eyes. We tend to sit on the couch and not say much. LOL.

When you have a chance, you should update your profile to reflect that you are now in Bend OR. Advice for growing in a high desert is definitely different than growing on Vancouver Island.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
@Josh88 - sorry for your losses.

I've been dabbling with bonsai since 1972. For one reason or another I've lost almost everything 3 or 4 times in my bonsai hobby career. Right now my collection looks like someone's who has only been in the hobby about 5 years. And I don't mind, bonsai is just something I enjoy doing, I don't pretend to be very good at it. I have trouble with long term consistency. I'm good for a few years at a stretch, then something will come along and disrupt my horticulture habits.

You can tell those of us who have lost large or valuable collections of trees or other plants by the sad expression in our eyes. We tend to sit on the couch and not say much. LOL.

When you have a chance, you should update your profile to reflect that you are now in Bend OR. Advice for growing in a high desert is definitely different than growing on Vancouver Island.
Thanks for reaching out Leo. I guess our trees are a lot like our pets, in that they may meet their end before we’re ready.

Top Bottom