Catastrophic Losses This Year

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Indeed. In my case, my trees are in a better environment, and are recovering. From what it sounds like, Josh is now in a tough climate, and he may not be as lucky.

To treat the fungus, Josh should try using Bonide Infuse Systemic Granular Fungicide. It might help. And spray with copper fungicide.
Thanks Adair. I appreciate your advice.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sorry for the loss of Biff. I'm sure that you gave him the best life that he could have had. He'll be with you forever. We lost our pup Max after 14 years and almost every day I spend a few minutes remembering. That was a little over two years ago. Now we are helping two other pups enjoy their lives. Take care of yourself and your family first that is most important. I wish you the best.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most heartfelt regret for loss of Biff. They mean so much to us. I also have been there more than once. Always remember him.
Present location is much dryer than Portland or NC. Suspicion is fungus is not a present problem but dryness and LACK of humidity after past 2 locations. After 7 years belief in your ability to gauge need for H2O is good and just do as instinct tells you to. If trees survive with fewer branches personal creativity and inspiration will be called upon and perhaps taxed as well but persevere and help them rise like a Phoenix from the ashes. You WILL find support here so please let us know how well survival goes.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He always been one of my favorite Avatar Pics!

I wouldn't spray shit on the trees, that's not what they need.

Truth, F the Trees.

Talk to Biff, Mourn your real Loss, and your path will be lit Again.

Sorce

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Your pines have probably been weakened by the repeated environmental challenges. I think you may need to be watering more, not less, given your current climate. I have a couple of (Scots) pines that ended up looking like this due to underwatering (I overcompensated for over-watering the previous year). It's taken a year or so but they are still alive and are recovering health (for one of them it will be a couple more years before it's strong enough to do anything with). In your position I would be doing what I could to keep the pots cool and sufficiently watered.

Last edited:

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Your pines have probably been weakened by the repeated environmental challenges. I think you may need to be watering more, not less, given your current climate. I have a couple of (Scots) pines that ended up looking like this due to underwatering (I overcompensated for over-watering the previous year). It's taken a year or so but they are still alive and are recovering health (for one of them it will be a couple more years before it's strong enough to do anything with). In your position I would be doing what I could to keep the pots cool and sufficiently watered.
As I ponder these responses, I wouldn’t be surprised if the answer is all of the above. The most rapid losses of foliage have been on collected trees, and perhaps the remaining native soil is staying too wet as I try to keep the surrounding fast draining bonsai soil or pumice around it hydrated and cool. Most of the damage in the garden to my deciduous and other evergreens seems to clearly be heat/underwatering. I appreciate all the advice and good thoughts sent out to Biff.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
He always been one of my favorite Avatar Pics!

I wouldn't spray shit on the trees, that's not what they need.

Truth, F the Trees.

Talk to Biff, Mourn your real Loss, and your path will be lit Again.

Sorce
Thanks Source. He’s a special dog and is with our family always.

Attachments

• 541BE8D9-4DC6-47E6-9672-9C0B9D516719.jpeg
    541BE8D9-4DC6-47E6-9672-9C0B9D516719.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 31CA289C-C968-4B07-97FB-61CD4D19FC64.jpeg
    31CA289C-C968-4B07-97FB-61CD4D19FC64.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 0DE8D1DE-D90F-42BD-BAC4-C89A55AAD530.jpeg
    0DE8D1DE-D90F-42BD-BAC4-C89A55AAD530.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 29

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Most heartfelt regret for loss of Biff. They mean so much to us. I also have been there more than once. Always remember him.
Present location is much dryer than Portland or NC. Suspicion is fungus is not a present problem but dryness and LACK of humidity after past 2 locations. After 7 years belief in your ability to gauge need for H2O is good and just do as instinct tells you to. If trees survive with fewer branches personal creativity and inspiration will be called upon and perhaps taxed as well but persevere and help them rise like a Phoenix from the ashes. You WILL find support here so please let us know how well survival goes.
Thank you very much

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The most common issues in the PNW are needle cast and overwatering. I don't see much banding from fungus and this does like overwatering to me. So overwatering-->root damage-->heat wave could be a terrible 1 2 3 combo.
That could be just sunburn from the heat as well... I was watching a stream last week where Ryan stated that there are quite a few trees that look like they had needle cast and they were just sunburned needles from the heat wave that just went through the Pacific Northwest area. They are having a discussion about it today at 1pm PST, you can get a 7 day free subscription and watch it if you can.
sunburn.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awe. Poor Kid!

I hope she's well, I know it sucks worse for a kid.

Great photos.

Yeah...F the trees!

Do you get to stay put for a while?

Sorce

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Awe. Poor Kid!

I hope she's well, I know it sucks worse for a kid.

Great photos.

Yeah...F the trees!

Do you get to stay put for a while?

Sorce
This should be home for a good long time now. It’s time for the kiddo to get to stay put. This is her first experience with death aside from Toby the fish, so it’s tough for sure.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Sorry for the loss of Biff. I'm sure that you gave him the best life that he could have had. He'll be with you forever. We lost our pup Max after 14 years and almost every day I spend a few minutes remembering. That was a little over two years ago. Now we are helping two other pups enjoy their lives. Take care of yourself and your family first that is most important. I wish you the best.
Having to say goodbye is the hardest part of having pets. Leaving too soon is their biggest fault. Enjoy those pups!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That could be just sunburn from the heat as well... I was watching a stream last week where Ryan stated that there are quite a few trees that look like they had needle cast and they were just sunburned needles from the heat wave that just went through the Pacific Northwest area. They are having a discussion about it today at 1pm PST, you can get a 7 day free subscription and watch it if you can.
View attachment 387562
Sometimes, in an effort to compensate fir high heat, we have to water a lot. This water evaporates and creates high humidity, which can then spawn a fungus infection that wouldn’t normally occur.

I believe some of my pines from the Central Valley of California suffered this. The heat weakened them, and allowed the fungus to take hold.

It’s a combination of factors.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As I ponder these responses, I wouldn’t be surprised if the answer is all of the above. The most rapid losses of foliage have been on collected trees, and perhaps the remaining native soil is staying too wet as I try to keep the surrounding fast draining bonsai soil or pumice around it hydrated and cool. Most of the damage in the garden to my deciduous and other evergreens seems to clearly be heat/underwatering. I appreciate all the advice and good thoughts sent out to Biff.

Sorry for your losses, Josh.

Ryan Neil has discussed tilting the container slightly as a way to combat health issues. This of course increases the rapidity of drainage and the frequency of the wet-dry cycle in the container. Obviously, this “ups the ante” and requires more frequent monitoring to keep the moisture level in the ideal range, but I have successfully used this technique on a few trees that were weak, including a juniper I got for free because it looked so dead.

Hope this helps.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry for your losses, Josh.

Ryan Neil has discussed tilting the container slightly as a way to combat health issues. This of course increases the rapidity of drainage and the frequency of the wet-dry cycle in the container. Obviously, this “ups the ante” and requires more frequent monitoring to keep the moisture level in the ideal range, but I have successfully used this technique on a few trees that were weak, including a juniper I got for free because it looked so dead.

Hope this helps.
Depends on where the holes in the pot are.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hi Josh...I am sad for all your problems and do wish you the best in getting recovery for both you and the trees. I was in Bend the first few days of July and it was a bid warm for sure. I went out to a native tree nursery there where they had a group of newly collected Mt Hemlocks that I was interested in. Looked to me like over 70% of the trees were going to die and the rest were not well. I went home with nothing unfortunately. I live in Baker City, Or, (NE Oregon) East of you a ways. We had the heat here also. I'm glad that I had purchased some sized 50% shad cloth earlier and had it up when it happened. I think the hot, dry heat, dry soil, to much hot sun, and the temperatures of pots and soil can be deadly along with all the moving you did. Bend has a bonsai club and is a very good place to collect conifers also.

I lost several pines and one spruce here, but think I overwatered with not the best soil. Best to you! August

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
The Oregon heat wave got me good too. Lost about 6 good trees. A few pines look like they will lose some beaches. I lost an imported azalea too

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
The Oregon heat wave got me good too. Lost about 6 good trees. A few pines look like they will lose some beaches. I lost an imported azalea too
It looks like it will be a real rough summer out here unfortunately. Its past time to put up a quick and easy shade cloth set up for the entire garden I’m afraid. I’ll send you good thoughts.

Top Bottom