Catch-All

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure if anyone else does this but I have found it is a handy thing to have ready to go if the need arises. I call it my catch all. I throw any clipping in it that I think might have a chance to grow. I spread seeds in it when I find some. I put "volunteers" from my yard in it as well. I eventually move them up to bigger pots.

Right now I have Chinese elms, portulacara, olive burls, mescal and a larger plant that I have no idea what it is.
Just a best practice I thought I would pass along.

20180722_162835.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
LOL get rid of that acacia! I don't try to save those - I try to burn them with a torch :)

But otherwise I like the idea. I have tons of "projects" from seedlings and cuttings. Problem I have is that my environment is not welcoming to young... anything :) Particularly at this time of year, my trees are all crying :(

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the ID! I knew someone would know. You must have some wimpy stuff ??. Full sun 108 today going strong. Water twice a day...real test next week 113....may stay in that range for a while. The dog days are upon us here in AZ.

arreaux

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Thanks for the ID! I knew someone would know. You must have some wimpy stuff ??. Full sun 108 today going strong. Water twice a day...real test next week 113....may stay in that range for a while. The dog days are upon us here in AZ.
I lived 5 years in and around Phoenix area. Can't imagine what it would take to grow bonsai there. The hottest temp I saw was 117 and it don't cool down at night.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been at it for almost 3 years. I am just now getting the hang of it. One key IMO is to go slow with just about everything. If the plants are not super healthy when summer strikes they have a hard time surviving.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Guilty as charged! I have 3 trays with domes like that in a shady area. Strength in numbers, that kind of thing.

Maybe I should be a bit ashamed, but they also serve as a last minte gift shop for friends that know how to care for plants.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I'd keep the acacia although it looks like a melanoxylon which may not be the best of the species to use. They grow hard and fast, respond to coppicing quite well and come spring are very pretty. Roots smell like onions though. I got a number of them coming up in the yard at the moment. Worse case they make a nice patio tree in a pot and at least they are contained, you can cut the seed pods off as they form so wont spread around.

Top Bottom