Caterpillar ID

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am ground growing an Iberian Oak (nice small leaves) and today I found these slimy little buggers on the underside of some discolored leaves.
I couldn't find any ID on caterpillars this small.
20180612_142613.jpg
They are very wet looking, unlike any caterpillars I've seen before. I clipped the affected branches off to destroy but I'm curious what they are.
CW
They are about 1/4 inch long

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A trick I learned from some knowledgeable growers that can discourage leaf chewers like this is to water with Epsom salt every other week 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. The additional magnesium can help make thicker and tougher leaf tissue. It works. Used to get stuff like this before using that mix. Some still show up and chew leaves, but don't stick around long and don't do as much damage.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey @rockm, do you sprinkle it around evenly in the pot prior to watering on said days?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey @rockm, do you sprinkle it around evenly in the pot prior to watering on said days?
Nope. Mix it in water with a gallon and a half watering can. My bonsai friends own a nursery and they inject the mixture into their watering system. I would not sprinkle it on the surface then water it in. Too much chance for uneven application.

Top Bottom