Caterpillar time

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They’re back! Right now you need to be on the alert for caterpillars on your trees. I caught one on a japanese maple today and got a big one off an American beech a few days ago amd another one on an autumn moon maple. The last two managed to gnaw through some leaves before I found them, Keep an eye out for curled leaves or any any leaves stuck together. The bugs like to hide in them and come out and eat. They can do a lot of damage in a very short while. I applied Bonide systemic insecticide back in the spring but it doesn’t seem to dissuade the caterpillars.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, I started to see some a couple weeks ago on some of my trees near my deck. Probably need to thoroughly go through the rest of my trees...

Skipped the systemic insecticide this year, not sure why...

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I used their Tree and Shrub annual soil drench. It is imidicloprid not the acephate version and should work for the entire season.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have seen some as well, which I remove by hand....more on my veggie garden than my bonsai, which are not far apart from each other.

On my trees I use a hand spritzer type bottle with Neem oil and water.
On the veggies I use hand soap and water.
I do use Daconil occasionally on my trees too, dunno what the bugs think of that.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Doing your part
I use Bayer tree and shrub systemic and am aware of the potential for the imidicloprid to pass into the pollen and effect bees and butterflies.

The only flowering trees I use it on are my crapes and purple leaf sand cherries (besides maples which most are too young to flower.) I wait for my cherries to flower first before using it and my crapes never flower so I feel kind of safe using it.

I've had caterpillars devastate my cherries and maples multiple times a year; I don't mess around with them anymore. There's plenty of other plants around for them to munch on, so if they try to eat my container trees than that's poor luck on their part...

Last edited:

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
On landscape plants imidicloporid lasts for two years following a drench, rate dependent.

Spinosad is one of the better options for foliage applications I have found. Organic, very safe and so effective I haven’t found much use to go to the stronger chemicals for caterpillar control.

Top Bottom