Catlin dropping leaves.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This catlin elm is dropping profuse quantities of leaves. Nothing seemed amiss other than a very early bud break and lots of leaves very early.
Now that the weather....should....be good, the thing is shedding leaves. :confused:
It's keeping the end ones. The ones it is dropping are green.

???catlin elm.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I'm guessing the leaves that are dropping are older ones. Catlin routinely holds onto last year's leaves over winter (in my climate) but it is still a deciduous tree so the leaves must fall eventually. Catlin choses to drop the older leaves as new ones grow in spring. Unless there is something else amiss this is normal behaviour for catlin elm

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Seems like my catlin. Loses its leaves in march/April as the new growth comes in. Yeah, they are still green but a bit faded.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah elms sometimes shed their whole coat at once, I'd bet you'll see all new budding in a week or so. Is there any chance the very early buds got cold nipped?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
here is a branch of mine. has some mature leaves still. a bit faded but they usually fall off when the new buds push. I should probably just remove them to let the new buds get more light.
DSC03158.JPG

Top Bottom