Catlin Elm 7 tree forest.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a Catlin Elm Forest I have been working on for a while. I just clip and grow the trees as the branches are very brittle. It stays fairly well evergreen between Ohio and Florida, I lose some leaves all the time turning a pretty yellow and sometimes an orange red. This year I lost the most leaves as I left it out during a 29 degree night forgetting to cover it. The large tree in the middle turned 90% yellow on the leaves and the rest were about 50 to 70% yellow, except for the little one in the front that turned a orange/maroon before it dropped its leaves. this was very pretty, they all started to bud back a few weeks ago, except for the next tallest tree on the backside, which I thought had died! It just started budding back a few days ago. I have been hesitant to show it here as you guys have such beautiful trees, but here it is. By the way the pic of the backside did not load into Flickr for some reason and in the front pic I noticed it looked like there are only 6 trees as the rear one is hidden by the dominant tree from the angle I took the picture.

7 Catlin Elm Group by edsnapshot, on Flickr

This is the last one to bud out the tree with the thicker trunk but is at the very back.

Last to leaf by edsnapshot, on Flickr

ed

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know this is not very interesting, but I had to show there were indeed 7 trees in my forest and as its raining here I had nothing else to occupy both my working brain cells....

Forest front by edsnapshot, on Flickr

Told ya there were 7 !!!

ed

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for sharing. I am jealous they are budding up for you already, feel like spring is so far away up here.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for sharing. I am jealous they are budding up for you already, feel like spring is so far away up here.

Its always spring here in Florida! They are getting much fuller now,

This is the front.

ELMFULLER by edsnapshot, on Flickr

This is the back.

FULLERBACK by edsnapshot, on Flickr
Hope your spring breaks soon.

ed

Last edited:

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I was wondering how you kept a zone 7-9 plant alive in OH lol

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was wondering how you kept a zone 7-9 plant alive in OH lol

Yeah, my plants travel with me LOL. I had the same response in another thread about my tropicals, I am not a big fan of deciduos trees as they look dead to me and I always worry that they have died until I see the buds coming in. Many people enjoy looking at the branch structure of a bare tree, to me its looks like winter and death, both depressing things in my mind. When it gets cold I make a simple box with a hinged lid out of furring strips as they are cheap and cover it in reflectix ( I posted a pic of the stuff in another thread here about a guys tropical setup) its an insulation that is like thin bubble wrap plastic covered on both sides with shiny aluminum foil, then I mount a grow light twin flourescent bulb on the inside of the box for light, its stays warm and wll lit even with below freezing temps.

ed

fore

Omono
Reaction score
" to me its looks like winter and death, both depressing things in my mind."

That's pretty funny Ed! Winter? Kinda to me...Death? Very depressing ;))

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
" to me its looks like winter and death, both depressing things in my mind."

That's pretty funny Ed! Winter? Kinda to me...Death? Very depressing ;))

To me winter is death in a way, it turns all the beauty to death. I start to get the rush in fall with all the beautiful colors and think I would love a Bonsai with those reds and oranges and yellows on them, but in a few days to a week they are falling on the ground, the sun gets dimmer and the winds start to howl and one gray cloudy morn I wake to notice there is no green save for the sparse smattering of evergreens midst the trees that look dead. Mild depression and thoughts of sunny Florida fills my mind and I follow the cardinals seeking out life and greenery.

ed

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another entry in the most un-commented on thread in B-nut history! I have had to trim this group each week for the past six weeks it keeps getting long thin shoots growing out of the group. When trimmed the branches fork off filling in much of the canopy. Just before this picture today I opened up much of the interior and removed most all of the lower growing branches too.

Cat.Elmgroup by edsnapshot, on Flickr

ed

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Top Bottom