Catlin elm root over rock restyle "naturalistic"

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
image.jpgimage.jpg

This is my catlin elm. It was originally styled traditionally with horizontal branches. I don't have a before pic on my phone but the branches got very thick and looked bad. So I decided to restyle the tree in a more natural looking way if possible. I cut off the top of the tree and most of the branches, just keeping a few nubs. I bent those nubs upward and this is it so far. I kept the odd branch on top just because it is different. It can easily be removed and a new leader grown. The roots are nice for an elm, I keep them covered with moss all summer. Opinions ? Thanks.

DesertPanda

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Very nice root structure and movement on the trunk…I really like this style and enjoy it when it looks as natural as this one does. I would use the bottom branch as a balance to the rock itself and allow the apex to get some ramification. If you let it grow out, I would also repot.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I like where you're going with this as far as letting the branches grow in a natural elm style. I don't, however, agree about the top. The sooner you cut off the weird branch the better.

DesertPanda

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I like where you're going with this as far as letting the branches grow in a natural elm style. I don't, however, agree about the top. The sooner you cut off the weird branch the better.

I can see where you are coming from on that...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm not buying that oddball branch either. Otherwise, nice start, roots are looking good.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well I was going to grow it into a top. I could carve out the side and bend it up, or cut it straight off and grow a conventional leader. I am going to style it late winter and ask you what you think then. If it still looks bad I will cut it. Probably will end up cutting.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a few different varieties of elm. Catlin seems to be impervious to disease and bugs. Even Japanese beetles wouldn't eat it ! No black spot either. All my other elms turn yellow or gold in the fall but this turns purple and yellow. I have a couple of very flat pots to choose from eventually.

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Catlin seems to be impervious to disease and bugs.

Nice little tree. My Catlin elm gets scale insects almost every year, but when I keep an eye out for it they are easy to pick off.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
looks like a very fun project that will only continue getting better

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks gnarly I like it. I don't know if that truck is bendable but if that weird little branch bends over to the left it might make a nice apex and give the trunk more movement?? IHNIWITA
(i have no idea what I'm talking about)

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's exactly what I am going to try to do next spring. If it looks like crap when I am done I will cut.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
(~~eerie music~~)~~Don't cut the branch!~~~out like a ghost in the night~~

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just felt a cold chill in the room. Was that a voice from the spirit world ? Why would you keep the branch ?

sean f

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I like the weird branch, gives it a little more character. Nice tree

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice tree Dave!
Started a root over rock myself last year... Just wondering how slowly (or fast) did you expose the roots?

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I purchased this tree with the roots attached to the rock. All I have done is grow the tree. I would recommend using spaghnum or moss of some kind to cover the roots during the hottest part of the summer. They can dry out and die pretty easily.

Top Bottom