Cautionary Tale for Beginners - Not all nice looking pots are good

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not a big fan of putting gunk in the bottom of a pot. In a pinch, silicone aquarium cement would work for a temporary fix.

We actually re-potted a big specimen at the museum last spring that wasn't doing well. Took the pot outside to scrub it and noticed a nice puddle formed in the middle of the pot! This was an expensive pot. Didn't use that pot again. After that episode I check each pot for drainage during repot.

Maybe the potters here would know why this would be in the design.... flawed design? ...or do pots sometimes sag in the middle when fired?

Nice clip. I've used both a drill press and a portable drill. I like the drill press for larger holes, more control.

For bigger holes a diamond hole cutter is needed. I submerge the pot in a bin of water up to just above the cutting surface and block the back of the pot with wood, per @River's Edge suggestion, for these holes to help prevent blowouts in the back. Some hole cutters tell you to do low speed cuttings like to bigger ones I use, the smaller Dewalt (1/2 and below) ones I'm using tell you right off to run at 1200 - 2500 rpm!

Good Luck!
DSD sends

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Important check when purchasing pots. This is a common problem with many!

I run the carbide tip and diamond drills at 800 rpm with light pressure for best results. Takes longer but less risk and damage from my experience. Easy to adjust on most drill presses with the pulley and belt variations. finger tip pressure on the outside of the handles
The glass drilling machines typical use the weight of the unit resting on the drill to cut without added pressure similar to the picture below. The whole unit just sits on the glass with tripod legs and the weight of the barrel is the primary pressure. This taught me that light pressure is better than heavy!

Attachments

• IMG_0804.JPG
    IMG_0804.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 12

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I found this same issue with the first ever pot I bought. I bought it online so didn’t realize it until I opened it up. It’s a rectangle pot with two drainage holes but the corners have indents where water can just sit. It was cheap so I guess you get what you pay for sometimes.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I found this same issue with the first ever pot I bought. I bought it online so didn’t realize it until I opened it up. It’s a rectangle pot with two drainage holes but the corners have indents where water can just sit. It was cheap so I guess you get what you pay for sometimes.
It is not always the cheap pots, antique pots can have the same drainage issues from indents in the bottom and also from smaller drainage holes that is also common for earlier pots. Some of the antique nanban pots can have issues, as they were originally created as domed lids for storage containers.

Top Bottom