CE - No new growth this year

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cool, thanks for the comments. Half the purpose of this thread was simply to see what people’s understandings and thoughts were, on what exactly is going on, so I can learn more. It’s interesting.

Can’t be certain yet but it seems like possibly a few buds are swelling. I’ll know more in a few days or week. There are a few more adventitious leaves popping out randomly, like 1-200 odd buds around.
There’s no reason for this tree to die!

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This spring was very bad for plants, some that i transplanted in late Feb/early March were doing fine until the frost came two times and simply killed a lot, some of my beech trees only starting now.
Some trees never wake up this spring, even i havent done anything with them, when i scratch test them - they are still green under the bark.
I lost 4 big Larches, oaks suffered and only starting to bud now but some died,
Also a lot of dead bodies in sapling division.....

This spring was one of the worst so far...........

Wait for it.........

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Just goes to show how malevolent the aspect of weather is. We had a pleasantly mild winter with very little snow and I too, lost lots of stuff that I would normally not be worried about. False spring came a little too early and then cold for a couple weeks, so I can't even be sure which was worse for the trees. There is only one way to win: volume. Expect turnover and keep the farm team fully staffed. I look back over the last ten years and see my first team has been replaced, one-by-one.

Anyone who makes a living farming has to have rocks in his head.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
S
If UK weather and DE weather are part of the same jetstream, I suspect you will get some warmer and dry weather next week? (Here there is an end to the rain in sight, jay)
Starts today in fact, warm temps all day. Next few days a bit iffy but after that, a solid week and more of nice temps, 20c. If that doesn’t wake up the trees, after all the rain, then I’d be seriously worried. I’ll wait. It’s been a terrible spring..

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just goes to show how malevolent the aspect of weather is. We had a pleasantly mild winter with very little snow and I too, lost lots of stuff that I would normally not be worried about. False spring came a little too early and then cold for a couple weeks, so I can't even be sure which was worse for the trees. There is only one way to win: volume. Expect turnover and keep the farm team fully staffed. I look back over the last ten years and see my first team has been replaced, one-by-one.

Anyone who makes a living farming has to have rocks in his head.
Scary to think how big of a factor it is in the life or death of £1,000s of trees, in monetary or sentimental value.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Seems to be fine. Some of the trunks have died back up top, a good amount but it’s all been cut off anyway so no matter.
Load of growth at the base and on all trunks there, that’s all that matters. Given it’s bad start, I’ll leave it for a month or so, then in summer I’ll cut it down low and put in place some style. It will have some time to react before it hibernates again.63C73EF9-CA08-45FB-BF25-C9FCF2287770.jpeg

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Having a lot of problems uploading pics from iPhone these days. It simply does nothing after uploading. Just blank..

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-07 at 10.23.32.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-07 at 10.25.07.jpeg

Mitty

Yamadori
Reaction score
I agree that this problem is due partly to the height of the tree. I think it is asking a lot for the roots and circulation to reach that high. IMO, I would reduce the height with careful pruning, but I would not chop the trunk short. And make sure it is watered well, even though it is fairly leafless

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree that this problem is due partly to the height of the tree. I think it is asking a lot for the roots and circulation to reach that high. IMO, I would reduce the height with careful pruning, but I would not chop the trunk short. And make sure it is watered well, even though it is fairly leafless
It is watered properly. I didn't remove much root when moving it, so that was the amount of foliage it was supporting previously.
Either more root than I think, has been removed or simply the tree didn't like the transplanting and reacted slowly. Anyways, its moving now.

I will be trunk chopping it later, 4-6 weeks, when it shows some good growth. It needs to be shortened properly.

Why wouldn't you chop the trunks short, if growth is showing there? Im confident enough that I am going to, once its healthy again but why wouldn't you?

Top Bottom