Cedar deodar air layer

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've been working on a cedar deodar air layer for 1.5 years. First attempt failed when bark healed over. I reset it this spring. I checked it today and saw some roots starting. I think it's not ready for separation. It looks like it could use another year. How can I best prepare it for over wintering? I'm concerned that the roots will freeze. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20210904_124122948_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210904_124122948_HDR.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20210904_124116760_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210904_124116760_HDR.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 48

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You are going to have to provide extra protection

I would put it in a garage over the winter where it will maintain temperatures above freezing and below 40 degrees

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Unfortunately, no. I guess I wasn't able to protect it enough over the winter. The tree dried up and never recovered in the spring. In more experienced and attentive hands it may have made it but deodar cedars seem to be slow to grow roots.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just curious, has anyone here ever had any success rooting or layering any of the true cedars?
I find the fact that this one actually developed roots as pretty remarkable.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It calloused over a one inch ring. I carved pretty deep into the hardwood. The second time I went even deeper after it bridged over. I also used lots of rooting hormone and sphagnum moss. If I were to try it again, I'd start earlier in the season and make a bigger ring. I wonder if keeping it warm in the cooler months of the spring would encourage root growth.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It calloused over a one inch ring. I carved pretty deep into the hardwood. The second time I went even deeper after it bridged over. I also used lots of rooting hormone and sphagnum moss. If I were to try it again, I'd start earlier in the season and make a bigger ring. I wonder if keeping it warm in the cooler months of the spring would encourage root growth.
Probably wouldn't hurt to keep it warm.

Top Bottom