Cedar elm collected 2013 - Tree #3

Reaction score
This tree was originally featured in my collecting 2013 post. It started out with massive new growth and I have cut it back pretty hard. I know the lower left branch is long. I am looking for a new leader to grow this year. What I have left is backup if I can get some side shoots. The tree was super healthy last year. I have repotted in another of my papercrete training pots for now.

I probably still did not cut back enough I need to choose one of the 3 branches on the lower left and probably take another 1/3 off the 2nd and 3rd branches on the right.
suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG413.jpg
    IMG413.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6858.jpg
    IMG_6858.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6861.jpg
    IMG_6861.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 69

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Reading what you wrote, I think you know what to do. ;)

Do the right thing ASAP. The sooner you do it the better for your tree and yourself. The longer you wait, the more difficult it becomes. Remember removing growth you grew last year? There is no need to repeat that.

Reaction score
Ok.... I did what I had to do. Here is what I think is this years heavy pruning. I will be hoping for a new branch middle left because the one that is there now comes off the back. Also the whole tree will eventually need to be planted another 45 degrees turned in the pot. I did not set it right.
I am wondering if it it safe to turn now or should I wait and let it recover a year?

Attachments

• IMG_6895.jpg
    IMG_6895.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 39

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice. You can still do it now but I won't esp. since some leaves already opened. I know it will look better from a certain angle but not worth it IMHO.

Reaction score
Agreed Dario. No sense adding insult to injury. It's not like it is going on display anytime soon and the tree could care less. I will just let it rest and recover.

Top Bottom