Cedar Elm question

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How do I get lower branches to grow?
Is this a case where it would have to be chopped down?
20201226_133617.jpg20201226_133646.jpg20201226_133715.jpg

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
What are you looking for in the final product...high, wide, etc

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What are you looking for in the final product...high, wide, etc
I don't know yet. It has leaves on the top portion but nothing grew out lower on trunk. I assume my options are limited here. I'm new to this but I thought maybe I could bend the heck out of it for literati?

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I cant edit OP.. But I am now asking if this tree would work as a literati style...

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unless someone has some hints for encouraging low buds, I say you'll need to chop it. I've had this experience myself. Sometimes they just stubbornly won't bud low.

Literati? I wouldn't make it the first style of a cedar elm in my collection, but you can go where it leads you and see what happens.

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Zack.. I have a couple others similar.. Not sure what other styles would work here

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can graft a new leader or drastically prune it and hope it buds where you need it. I was in a similar situation awhile back and what I did really helped the circumstances.

In order to encourage my Chinese Quince to bud, I cut a notch into the trunk . Everything on top would be going and the sprouts under the cut were then selected from. Here's an example sketch of what I'm talking about, the green are to represent the new shoots, the red shows where the cut was made. I found it enough to stress my tree (different than yours) to back bud, and the tree has used the top to better sustain itself after such an invasive procedure. Later I went back and made a new clean cut across to my selected leader.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 9

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zack.. I have a couple others similar.. Not sure what other styles would work here
You can chop low and build the trunk from near the ground up. I have done this, and it works well. Given the large pot the tree you showed is in, you can do this entirely in that pot. It'll take a few years to make something out of it, but you have total control once it buds out. Think informal upright; that's the most common style, and cedar elm works well as an informal upright.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
How far is it from the top of the soil to the bottom of the big fork? And how high to the first bend?

Last edited:

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Ok...When you see green in the spring, I personally would hack that tree right below the fork but above those little branches below the fork that I see there. It is an elm and they're pretty hardy and tough from what little I know. Then I would give it some pretty heavy in nitrogen fertilizer every two weeks or so during the growing season.

Also, you might consider air layering one or both of the forks. They would make nice trees.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
air layering
This would be my option too. In fact, I think the two branches in top would make better trees I think than the base.

During the layering you will already get branches to pop. Make sure however that you chop low enough.
I would not use this as a literati.

In your picture I see a root winding around the lower trunk. Get rid of that before it starts to girdle & leave deep impressions.

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
20201227_130107.jpg20201227_130127.jpg20201227_130137.jpg20201227_130147.jpgthese are some others I think air layer is good idea also..

Top Bottom