Cedar elm repot

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Repotted my old cedar elm this weekend just in time for the freeze:rolleyes: I've had this tree for 20 years. Like most CE, it has a crummy nebari and it takes some engineering work to get it to stand up in the pot.ce1.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I love the bark on these trees. Im looking forward to developing a good canopy on the one i got from bonsai south next year.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wasn't sure if it was hardy here as I read it is from Texas. So thanks for that; I will start looking for one. I assume that is ok as I am zone 6 and you are zone 7. I have no problem protecting zone 7 plants if they aren't huge.
Yours is certainly a beauty.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wasn't sure if it was hardy here as I read it is from Texas. So thanks for that; I will start looking for one. I assume that is ok as I am zone 6 and you are zone 7. I have no problem protecting zone 7 plants if they aren't huge.
Yours is certainly a beauty.
It's hardy here. In D.C. were about in the same USDA area as Dallas, more in the summer, less in the winter. Mine is overwintered outside under 8 inches of mulch. Have a smaller one I'm being a bit more cautious with. This species is VASTLY underused for bonsai. It is probably the best native species for bonsai IMO.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's hardy here. In D.C. were about in the same USDA area as Dallas, more in the summer, less in the winter. Mine is overwintered outside under 8 inches of mulch. Have a smaller one I'm being a bit more cautious with. This species is VASTLY underused for bonsai. It is probably the best native species for bonsai IMO.

Does your cedar elm ever get the corky bark on branches like the winged elm does? I noticed some that has formed on mine since I got it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does your cedar elm ever get the corky bark on branches like the winged elm does? I noticed some that has formed on mine since I got it.
Yes it does. Those wings mostly go away. IT can eventually develop into craggy bark, too. Corky growth is particularly common on fast growing shoots.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Vary nice tree as always @rockm

Im a little relent to say this because trust me i get it. But, i cant help but wish you would post more. You always have top notch trees. You know your stuff. I mean if i see you post some advise, i know to listen in.

My point being, For having that tree for 20 years! You know your shit.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vary nice tree as always @rockm

Im a little relent to say this because trust me i get it. But, i cant help but wish you would post more. You always have top notch trees. You know your stuff. I mean if i see you post some advise, i know to listen in.

My point being, For having that tree for 20 years! You know your shit.
I appreciate it. I am far from an expert. There are others here, (Adair, Brian Van Fleet, Vance, Smoke, etc.) that have vastly more talent than me. I've just been around a long time. ;-)

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow! You’re at freezing already? I think I’ve got another month before the freeze starts.
Nice looking tree. Fabulous bark. Really nice trunk line angle. I like it. Mighty fine!

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow! You’re at freezing already? I think I’ve got another month before the freeze starts.
Nice looking tree. Fabulous bark. Really nice trunk line angle. I like it. Mighty fine!
I thought the same. The initial post was in April.

Top Bottom