Cedar elms not budding yet in PNW?

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've got a couple cedar elms I collected in TX several years ago that had been doing very well here to my surprise. They held leaves on until almost the 3rd week of December this year and then we got about three weeks of freezing rain around Feb though the temps weren't much below freezing. Anyhow its almost June now and there is very little swelling in the dormant buds. Branches still feel springy and a scratch of the branch reveals a green layer underneath. I gave a friend one of the 3 elms I had, and his put out leaves almost a month ago. Granted, the trees here are usually about two weeks behind the trees in town where he lives, but I'm worried they are on the decline. Anyone else in the great PNW still got cedar elms looking pretty dormant?

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
:(, wait? Or give them also to your friend :p.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Be patient! Hopefully they are just delayed. I would keep them from too much rain for a bit as well as giving bottom heat if possible if you are worried.

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine budded just last week. It was fast when it did. One day no buds, next day leaves every where.
Ok. Great to know thanks! The elms at my parents place in TX where mine were collected, started leafing out months ago.

Top Bottom