Cedar forest setup. Can it be done over days.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Practicing on a cedrus lebani forest, nothing fancy unfortunately but hoping I can fit 5 trees in the pot I have for them and to gave the positioning at least look half decent.
Trees were just purchased and they're nursery material in a typical clay soil that can't for the life of me keep a tree alive in. So need to repot them as they are this season maybe with a trunk chop for the taller ones so I can set them easier in the pot. Will work on shaping and pruning next spring. Now my concern is it typically takes me couple hours to half bare root and pot a single tree of those. With 5 trees i doubt I'll be able to dedicate a complete day for them. How can I keep half bare rooted trees to maybe finish half bare rooting the other trees and potting all. Believe 2-3 days total? How to protect roots?
Also how sonu manage tie down if pot only has 2 drainage holes should I drill and prepare tie cables for each of the tree.
Appreciate input on how I should proceed and would be great if u can share pics of how you want with forest planting.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You will need to have trees completely bare rooted to put them together as a group planting. Do your hbr on all trees this year and repot in individual pots. Next year when you do the other half you can plant together.
When you get to that point, make a grid and wire it in place and then attach trees to grid.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Ouch no space for 5 more trees that might be tricky. Can I HBR and place in forest pot this year and redo next year to complete bare root? Can also go with a bit larger pot so roots don't get entangled for this years growth. But then dont see how to set the grid with the big soil masses still in the pot

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
90% of putting together a forest is preparation. Your trees need to be conditioned first, then you can fit them together. This means getting your root mass condensed and trimming some conflicting branches.basicly making your trees suitable to stand together.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Understood. Guess I'll just HBR and return to their pots till next year and manage space for them somehow

Top Bottom