Cedar - New Leader

one_bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
I have this cedar which I'm field growing. I want to get some movement into the trunk, so intend to choose a new leader and wire it at an angle. Should I leave the main trunk growing above the new leader to help thicken the trunk or should I remove it?

Polish_20191230_135402015.jpg

Attachments

• Polish_20191230_135402015.jpg
    Polish_20191230_135402015.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 1

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am not an expert here but it seems you would have to remove it, otherwise the apical dominance of the central leader will control the plants growth.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You can leave the current leader for a while but the lower parts will only grow very slowly and may even start to weaken. At the first sign of any weakness in the parts you want to keep the sacrifice must be removed. Using a lower branch as a sacrifice branch will give better results and also thicken the base of the trunk more than the top which is good. you have plenty of low branches so I'd probably be inclined to prune now to save any problems. Pick one or more low branches and let those grow unpruned for a couple of years to achieve thickening.

one_bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Using a lower branch as a sacrifice branch will give better results and also thicken the base of the trunk more than the top which is good. you have plenty of low branches so I'd probably be inclined to prune now to save any problems. Pick one or more low branches and let those grow unpruned for a couple of years to achieve thickening.

So something like this;

Polish_20191230_170209010.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It is not really possible to give good advice from just a photo but I suspect your new virt is close to my thoughts.
Just be careful to have any sacrifice branch toward the proposed back. Cedar take ages to heal so any visible scar will be there for a long time. Also don't use a branch you want in the final tree because it will then be far too thick for the bonsai and cedar can't be pruned back and expect new buds to grow.
Allow sacrifices to grow freely. They will be cut off or turned into jin. Maintain and prune any parts you expect to keep for the bonsai to keep those bits compact and maintain shoots you can use eventually.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I want to get some movement into the trunk, so intend to choose a new leader and wire it at an angle

Does the rest bend still?

This post is the first I'm realizing this difference between movement in trunks, which your process will achieve.
And movement in and of the segments between trunks, which needs wire or other external force.

I think it's important because a lot of times people have trunk chop movement but wiggle wire the branches, where trunk chop movement should have more of a clip and grow crown.

Wiggly wired trunks use wiggly wired branches.

Anyway.....

I wonder if the other above sacrifice information is for cedar?

@Anthony just did a thread showing extreme differences in how trees act toward top or lower thickening with branch placement. Worth a thought.

I don't think you should cut anything until the tree says so. But I don't know cedar.

I'd be tempted to use wire to move sac away.
Prune sac side branches a little, often, so the tree continues to grow well elsewhere.
Even wrap the top sac in a bit of shade cloth to keep the tree from deciding to allocate all it's resources there.

I'd try anything but cutting it first.

Sorce

Top Bottom