Cedar not looking good after repot.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Hello,
Reported those 3 cedrus lebani from nursery material. One in question was repoted with HBR on 6 April and spent 15 days in shade, and then went to partial sun so far. The other 2 are doing good, pushing buds and folliage color looking good. This one started loosing few old needles and it seems to be extending. Some new buds are pushing and some branches aren't affected. Any idea if theres anything I should do?
Move back to shade? Water a bit more ? Mist foliage ? Or do I keep in partial sun exposure and see how it does? Thanks
Screenshot_20200508-184306_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200508-184223_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200508-184515_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200508-184544_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200508-184531_Gallery.jpg20200508_190143.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
After I repotted my Atlas Cedar, it dropped a lot of needles. But the buds stayed healthy. It’s now showing green in the center of the buds, and they’re all starting to show growth.

I put my Atlas Cedar in full sun, even right after repotting. Sunlight stimulates buds to grow. I don’t know why people think shade is healthy for a sun loving tree!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any chance we can get a picture of the entire rock wall?

That looks so damn interesting!

I reckon A Boon teaching of HBR should come coupled with the one where trees go right back to full sun after Repot.

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I believe that cedars are prone to dropping needles after spring repot. Sometimes a few twigs or branches will also die but in most cases it is just the older needles and new spring buds will open and still grow.
One very experienced grower here said to repot cedars in kid summer to avoid needle drop but I have not tried that here.
I agree with Adair on trees back to normal position after repot. All mine go straight back to the bench.

For now maintain care and cross fingers.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Just went with what I saw in many threads and youtubes for shading after repotting. Will move all to normal position then. Yes I have heard about conifers repoting in summer, yet as we're close to summer and a bit ahead where I am, and also as our summer is typically a bit hotter in thought I repot in April may just at buds opening.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Any chance we can get a picture of the entire rock wall?

That looks so damn interesting!

I reckon A Boon teaching of HBR should come coupled with the one where trees go right back to full sun after Repot.

Sorce

Great catch :)
Unfortunately rock wall is still disappointing with cement filling still needing to be cleaned between rocks and filled with the nicer filling . Also need to have the glass facade installed at the top where the bonsais are, and then a matchin rock tiling to the cement on top .... with corona it's all on hold.
Screenshot_20200509-095658_Gallery.jpg

This is the other side finished wall
Screenshot_20200509-095525_Gallery.jpg

Top Bottom