Cedar of Lebanon

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a cedar I picked up from a local nursery today. It's labeled as "Cedrus Libani Nana". It's low grafted with no real noticeable scar. I've done nothing to it so far, but figured I could come here for some starting guidance, what style to choose, and care for cedars in general.

DSC02159.jpgDSC02162.jpgDSC02163.jpgDSC02166.jpgDSC02168.jpg

BigDave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Good choice IBB

Easy to wire and style into any shape. Slow grower

Lots of sun,like 100 %

Time to do some art, choose branching and wire, then let it respond. this one will teach you patience..

good luck,
big Dave

ps. Walter Anderson Poway?

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks! http://www.walterandersen.com I know it's not necessarily a bonsai nursery, but they do have a lot of good material there. I love conifers so this place is like heaven for me. I love their smell, and their rugged look. Mugos, Monterreys, Scots, JBP, Italian Stone, spruces, cedars, are all there.

I've got a game plan in store for the cedar, but I wanted some opinions first from the bonsainut community.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Here is a pic of a pretty Chokkan styled cedar. I do not know specific species because it just says 杉 sugi in the book. Tree height is 26 cm. Cedar Closeup Chokkan.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here is a pic of a pretty Chokkan styled cedar. I do not know specific species because it just says 杉 sugi in the book. Tree height is 26 cm. View attachment 28120

Thats a cryptomeria, generically called tsugi, or Japanese cedar. Botanically, its different from cedrus, but a nice tree.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Thats a cryptomeria, generically called tsugi, or Japanese cedar. Botanically, its different from cedrus, but a nice tree.

Thanks for the clarification on the species (Cryptomeria japonicum) which I did not know...but just to correct the Japanese
杉 すぎ Sugi (Is the tree)
次 つぎ Tsugi (Means next)

I was just trying to provide a visual (wrong tree)...and maybe the Original Poster's tree normally would not grow like this in the wild.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks for the clarification on the species (Cryptomeria japonicum) which I did not know...but just to correct the Japanese
杉 すぎ Sugi (Is the tree)
次 つぎ Tsugi (Means next)

I was just trying to provide a visual (wrong tree)...and maybe the Original Poster's tree normally would not grow like this in the wild.

Good to know, I've seen it with and without the "t" for some reason.

I dig formal cryptos, and have one in the front yard landscape that I'm feeding like crazy, and will soon try to convince my wife that it's unfortunately outgrown the space. (3" trunk, 4' tall, and growing!)

BigDave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Here is a pic of a pretty Chokkan styled cedar.

Nice try Maplesan and good for inspiration. You can see the confusion, many trees are called Ceder and cypress,,,but arent.

The true ceders and the bald cypress (taxodium) are good growers for Intriqued-by bonsai, the others not so much

The cool nursery He went to imports lots of nice conifers from all parts north, and hopes to sell them off by summer, because thats when they begin their decline. Water (alkaline) low humidity, and lack of cold winter make it difficult to grow...but they sell, soo...

good growing,
big D

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The cool nursery He went to imports lots of nice conifers from all parts north, and hopes to sell them off by summer, because thats when they begin their decline. Water (alkaline) low humidity, and lack of cold winter make it difficult to grow...but they sell, soo...

I noticed this. On one of the conifers I saw, the Colorado Blue Spruce for example; The tag on them said climate zones 3-8, but San Diego is a zone of 10 (depending on the area). I just don't see that tree doing very well here. Maybe places like Carlsbad, or Oceanside can get away with that since it's more chilly near the coast.

Btw, here's an update for my tree.

DSC02169.jpgDSC02170.jpgDSC02171.jpg

BigDave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Way to go IBB

Now you're cookin

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Very nice, I picked up one of these also but how at that nursery.
It's awesome if you leave in full sun the needles get micro no joke
I will greet a picture up tomorrow, will pickup get two new for a forest...
What I have ids no grafted though...

Enjoy
Rishi

Top Bottom