Cedrus Deodora w/ heavily damaged roots

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hey people of the internet,

I have two 3-4 year old Cedars, I got them from a friend who works as a garden designer. They were bought pretty recently from a nursery and they seemed pretty healthy on the outside. It's winter here, so any after-autumn damage wouldn't show anyway until after dormancy.
After leaving them out for a few weeks, I found that after some rain they couldn't support themselves in fairly large containers (still with the original soil they were bought in). Upon inspection I found what might be the worst nightmare of any plant enthusiast: there were little to no roots at all. The taproot is present, along with just a hand full of adventitious roots, but no feeder roots and not even a lump of 'full soil leftovers'.
These little trees have most likely been pulled from the ground, washed, and thrown in potting soil.

These trees are lost. That's what I assume, that's the drift I caught. Still, I want to try and save them. Half of my trees have stories like that; saved from a garbage can, salvaged from a dumpster, literally found on a road.. I think it provides them with some character, at least to me.
First thing I did was applying a dilute IBA solution of around 0.2mg/L. Just to get some auxins going and hopefully stimulate adventitious root formation whenever dormancy breaks. That treatment might screw up some nice compact branch/foliar growth, but I'm fine with that.

Is there anything else I can do? I have everything in stock, from laboratory hormones and vitamin mixtures used in tissue culture, to a living back yard peat bog as a source of sphagnum, and even a whole plethora of mycorrhizae.. I want these trees to survive and thrive. Before I leave them alone for at least a year, I'd like to know if there's anything I can do to make the best out of this very poor situation.

We're going to have -12 degrees C of frost next week. Around the maximum of frost a deadora would be able to handle (as far as I've read). Would it be wise to place it in a south-faced sunny spot indoors? The argument supporting this idea would be something like: "With little to no roots, they can't handle full sun anyways, and the higher temperature could help them recover faster, winter dormancy has been going on for at least 3 months, so they've already had a kind of chill-out moment for the winter."
Bust that argument for me please, and help me off of that floating cloud of good hopes. I can handle the reality, but I do love to dream ;-)

Any advice would be much appreciated. Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of the roots, and digging them up again seems counterproductive to the healing process. Let's just say there's just 5-10% of the original root mass still present.
Thanks a lot for your time!

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
If they survive I'll be surprised - cedar hate root disturbance. If it's as bad as you describe then it'll drop all its needles. Mine did about 5 years back and then it grew more needles to give me hope before slowly going brown and dying. I treat cedar roots now with kid gloves and stage any heavy root work over multiple seasons.

All you can do is make sure the substrate drains well, is sheltered from strong winds and sun and gets an occasional spray to keep local humidity high.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer Marie1uk.
How long would you reckon it takes for the damage to show?
Lets say that if it's a miraculous case, is it then safe to assume the tree is back to (relative) health when new growth occurs?

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Within 2 weeks mine dropped needles when you tapped the branch. Like any tree it is healthy when it sends out vigorous extension growth.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some bottom heat and rooting hormone. If can keep tree at perhaps 55-60 degrees "maybe" roots will develop thinking is spring;).

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Right now both trees are indoors at high humidity. Temperatures outdoors are way below zero right now, which would do more harm than good. The room they're in right now has spring like temperatures.
I will look up what kind of rooting hormone (and concentration) will trigger the most response.

Thanks again!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Top Bottom