Cedrus lebani multiflush?

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
repoted this cedar and half barebrooted in April, when buds were just opening. Buds opened and hardened since then. I'm seeing new buds opening now. Not sure if these are late due to repotting or just a second flush? Not able to get info from local growers if cedars are single or multi flush.
Would the second flush ( if reallyn2nd flush and not just late opening) mean the tree is energy postive and I can maybe do some branch and wiring work or is it better to leave that till next year anyway ?
Screenshot_20200627-160721_Gallery.jpg
Thanks

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
True cedars can grow almost continuously if the growing season is right.

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
With that in mind, what season do folks recommend for various work?
-I assume repotting right before bud break? Or do you want to let it go a tad longer like larch?
-What about hard pruning? Large chops? When are you most likely to get back budding? (Yeah i know its very different between deodar and lebanon in that regard)
What about for starting grafts?

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
People from agriculture, nurseries and people who cultivate cedar here recommend jan feb, which is cold by our standard but mostly like early spring fir most other countries. Pruning they recommend feb.
Whereas for bonsai most recommendation i see for elongating species is to prune just before bud break or post flush harden.
As for repoting most bonsai recommendation for conifer repoting is a bit in late spring early summer.

Top Bottom