Cedrus libani seedling still stuck in sead coat

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I got some of these ceder seeds. The package said "kept in cold storage, sow immediately" so that's what I did. I put it in really, maybe too fast draining mix. I kept them outside for a bit but when weather became colder I move a few pots outside.

Now after 9 weeks one seed has appeared above the surface with a long stem beneath it, pushing it up. These seeds had me worried a bit, so I was happy to see that. I saw some conflicting stories about how deep to sow so I decided to sow it very near the surface. But of course I don't see any leaves. The seed coating is basically entirely intact except for the stem that comes out of it.
I know some seeds do this when they were buried too shallow and that there is a risk they will choke in the seed coat and never be able to 'unfold' their seed leaves.

Is this normal for cedar seeds? The seed is almost 2 cm above the soil. Should I bury it that deep with new soil? Should I wait? Should I attempt to crack open the seed coat? I have done this with a capsicum seed once.

So far I have only one seedling out of like 9 seeds. Maybe more will germinate, maybe not. So this one is quite precious. I will probably order more if I get just one cedar out of these.

Thanks.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just hang in there. As the new leaves elongate, they will push the hull away and it will fall off. It is a very beautiful thing to watch.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The Cotyledons will push themselves out of the seed shell by themselves making the seedling look like a spoked wagon wheel on the end of a broom stick. Then, the growth of the tree will appear in the center of the whorl and needles will appear as the seedling gains strength.

Top Bottom