jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Thanks for all the positive response.
In picture 1 the big right front branch has branching mostly facing inwards
and not on the outside....
I'm thinking of thread grafting 1 or 2 branches ??
I really don't want to stuff this tree up.

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
in picture 2 the original trunk chop has closed brilliantly !!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
... just some thoughts ...

With regard to perspective in your tree, one wants thicker branches in front and thinner in back.
One also wants the tree to bow to the viewer as it feels friendly

These two things suggest the front ought to be somewhere like 180 from your second pic. If this were the front, then I don't think the branching from the first branch would be a problem.

I think pic 3 offers nice perspective/depth. The trunk has a nice basal flare in this view, but it looks like the nebari has some problems. It looks to me that there is a big massive root looping around clockwise. Of the views you've supplied, I think I like this view (in pic 3) to be the front. The canopy development appears to be easy with this choice (famous last word, 'easy' :rolleyes:) and you wouldn't be fretting about
In picture 1 the big right front branch has branching mostly facing inwards and not on the outside....
. Instead, just cut back before bud burst, then a little wire after the new shoots have extended might be all that you need to do. The focus would be on eliminating this really bad root ( which maybe isn't such a big deal with a different choice for the front).

What is your chosen front for the design, @jason biggs? I think you need to get this clearly set in your mind as it dictates your plan for the remainder of your development of this tree.

Frojo

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks for all the positive response.
In picture 1 the big right front branch has branching mostly facing inwards
and not on the outside....
I'm thinking of thread grafting 1 or 2 branches ??
I really don't want to stuff this tree up.

That is one great looking tree.

To be honest, I would chop that branch back to the first of the three thicker ones at the end. There seems to be lots of places it will bud if you do that.

Celtis are my favourite trees, I dug up a few this spring.

Last edited:

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
For whatever reason, this tree had a death wish...
last 2 pics show hope :D 20210802_074449.jpg20210802_074431.jpg20210802_074340.jpg20210802_074527.jpg20210802_074325.jpg

Top Bottom