Celtis - Semi Cascade - Thoughts?

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Over the last weekend, I got myself a small Celtis. It appealed to me because it was different and it didn't break the bank - R230 (SA Rand) = $16 US. I really liked the way the roots are above the soil and they are twisted together.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So I brought it home and decided to cut the new growth back. The idea is to leave it for the rest of summer and during the autumn and winter months have a good look at the branches and decide on what needs to be removed and wired.

When I trimmed the new growth back, I tilted it to the side and realised that it could make a very nice semi cascade over the side of a nice pot.

5.jpg 6.jpg

The one area that does worry me though is the piece of trunk that I find just a bit too straight. I think that could easily be solved with some wiring just to put some movement in there.
It does have a scar running down the back of it, but I think with some carving, it could add to the overall appeal.
5.jpg
4.jpg

Would love to hear your thoughts on this and any suggestions.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We have from seed [ 83 ] and seedling [ 80 ], they need a fridge, but they are so beautiful.
If you grow to thicken the trunk, the wound will heal.
So you could trace an image and project a future thickness, with canopy see if you like it.

Or just build a delicate canopy.
Beautiful tree.
Good Day
Anthony

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
We have from seed [ 83 ] and seedling [ 80 ], they need a fridge, but they are so beautiful.
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

If you grow to thicken the trunk, the wound will heal.
So you could trace an image and project a future thickness, with canopy see if you like it.

Or just build a delicate canopy.
Beautiful tree.
Good Day
Anthony
Thanks Anthony. Right now I feel that I want to keep it small and compact. The trunk can thicken up slightly so maybe for a year or 2 have it planted out into a big pot whilst I work on refining the canopy.

Thanks again.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Cool tree, I have one of these too. Need to figure out how I'm going to train and develop it. I hear these finicky when it comes to repotting though.

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Cool tree, I have one of these too. Need to figure out how I'm going to train and develop it. I hear these finicky when it comes to repotting though.
Not at all in my view. I have 3 celtis trees - 2 Celtis Africana and 1 Celtis Sinensis. All of them were repotted this year spring with a root prune and no problems.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Not at all in my view. I have 3 celtis trees - 2 Celtis Africana and 1 Celtis Sinensis. All of them were repotted this year spring with a root prune and no problems.
Ahh nevermind I realize that this is a celtis and the tree I have is a ceanothus. The leaves just look very similar in the pictures.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The pic with the yellow rectangle....
It looks quite nice and compact from that angle. I think if you build the canopy interesting, it and the roots will get ones eye to travel easily across that straight part.

The pic with the square pic....
One of my first collected trees was a Hack with a wound EXACTLY like that!

I don't think, safe and easy are adjectives properly describing a bend there...
I would only attempt it if you absolutely must.
Possibly after carving a lot of that wood out. Or not.

Nice.

Sorce

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The pic with the yellow rectangle....
It looks quite nice and compact from that angle. I think if you build the canopy interesting, it and the roots will get ones eye to travel easily across that straight part.

The pic with the square pic....
One of my first collected trees was a Hack with a wound EXACTLY like that!

I don't think, safe and easy are adjectives properly describing a bend there...
I would only attempt it if you absolutely must.
Possibly after carving a lot of that wood out. Or not.

Nice.

Sorce
Hey Sorce
Thanks for the feedback.

I have to agree with you on the bending. The more I looked at it, the more it changed my mind. I definitely want to carve out the dead wood. I will do it slowly but surely to get the right effect

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like it in a cascade, semi cascade style and I think it looks great like that. I would not carve any on the dead wood. It is on the back of the main trunk and carving it will thin the side view and make it show a reverse taper right in the main view of the trunk. Just leave it alone and allow the deadwood to fill the view and let it stew a couple years, then review again. Do it now and forever ruin the look of that trunk which is pretty thin in the first place.

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I like it in a cascade, semi cascade style and I think it looks great like that. I would not carve any on the dead wood. It is on the back of the main trunk and carving it will thin the side view and make it show a reverse taper right in the main view of the trunk. Just leave it alone and allow the deadwood to fill the view and let it stew a couple years, then review again. Do it now and forever ruin the look of that trunk which is pretty thin in the first place.
Very valid point Al. Thanks so much. I had a look at the scar area and it is actually healing over very nicely. Maybe it will close up?IMG_5721.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Doing very well. I think you would be really sorry to thin that out with out giving it a chance to preserve the taper even though there is not taper per se, carving it would introduce too much taper and ruin the look. You can always go back and do it, once done it would be hard to correct if it came out bad.

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Doing very well. I think you would be really sorry to thin that out with out giving it a chance to preserve the taper even though there is not taper per se, carving it would introduce too much taper and ruin the look. You can always go back and do it, once done it would be hard to correct if it came out bad.
thanks Al.
I will leave it

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice starting plant. Would have also suggested bigger trunk developing container. No real need to carve scarring as will look better as heals naturally and if allowing to grow some bigger seeming straight spot will pale to insignificance for you. Pick front of tree so "straight" spot is de emphasized for viewer. Not familiar with these so do not know bendability. Great roots:D,great idea for doing Cascade;).

Last edited:

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Very nice starting plant. Would have also suggested bigger trunk developing container. No real need to carve scarring as will look better as heals naturally and if allowing to grow some bigger seeming straight spot will pale to insignificance for you. Great roots:D,great idea for doing Cascade. Since looks like opposite growing leaves/branches watch choice of branches to avoid opposite/bar branches in design;).
Thanks Potawatomi. Appreciate the feedback. I will definitely keep my eye on the bar branches. In Spring 2017, I will be repotting it into a larger container. I could probably still get away with it now but it has been incredibly hot. Unless I do not disturb the roots and just put the whole thing into a new pot. mmmm. Might just do that.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Potawatomi. Appreciate the feedback. I will definitely keep my eye on the bar branches. In Spring 2017, I will be repotting it into a larger container. I could probably still get away with it now but it has been incredibly hot. Unless I do not disturb the roots and just put the whole thing into a new pot. mmmm. Might just do that.

Oops:oops::rolleyes:! You saw original post before mistake corrected. Went back and saw leaves not opposite. With GREAT aftercare including partial or dappled shade many plants can be repotted most any season especially with little or zero root worko_O.

Top Bottom