Celtis Sinensis Literati

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I recently purchased this little Celtis Sinensis Literati from a guy who was reducing his stock.

I fell in love with it as I can see loads of potential in this tree and if looked after properly over the next few years, it could really become a great tree.

There are a few things that are wrong with it like some bad scars from wire left on too long but I am hoping in the next few years those will become less visible.

The biggest concern is one branch that I personally feel needs to be removed. I want to see if others agree with me on this.

Firstly the branch has created quite a bulge on the trunk. By removing it, I will be able to start working on reducing the bulge and maybe create a jin from the branch. Secondly I believe the overall image of the tree and view from the front will be greatly improved.

So lets hear your thoughts. Have a look at the next few pics and let me know if you agree with my thoughts. I think the branch should go.

The bulge on the trunk is clearly visible from the back
112123.jpg

This is the front view with the branch that I would like to remove.
IMG_0989.jpg

This is the view with the branch covered up. I personally believe it is much better without the branch.

IMG_0988.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hell Yeah!

If you could stick that branch back on the front left.... It would be perfect!

I really like this one!

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think I would keep the branch and try to wire it forward and down.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Get the hell out!

That's crazy!

These are awesome!

Sorce

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Celtis make nice literati. Yours is a nice start. Needs some trunk beautification, though as bark is rather ho hum in this Genus. Here's mine.
Thanks JKL

Stunning Literati you have there.

I do agree that the trunk is fairly boring but I like what you have done with yours and the carving on it. I think in a few years I will also look at working on the trunk slightly to make it more aged.

I have been asking around on FB etc about the one branch that I want to remove and the majority have also said that it should be removed. Others have suggested that I wire it and bend it downwards. I cannot see this as like I said, it is where it joins to the trunk that worries me. It is already thickening up there too much for my liking and my view is the longer it stays the more it will thicken up.

Thoughts?

Top Bottom