Celtis sinensis

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yesterday i picked up this celtic sinensis!
i will get it trough winter and then next season we will see where the new branches emerge and think of a design for this trunk and start building a nice tree from this stump

Its been chopped by the preveous owner carved and treated :)

Tell me what you think!
@JudyB here it is!

Screenshot_20171129-060811.png Screenshot_20171129-060848.png Screenshot_20171129-060915.png Screenshot_20171129-060938.png Screenshot_20171129-061028.png Screenshot_20171129-061220.png

Reaction score
It has nice movement, the base has it's obvious flaws. There are some small cut wounds that show no callus, how old looks the wood on the removed branches? Totally chop back is often hit or miss, depending on the species. Selling "risky" material is not a good thing to do in my opinion. I don't know the bark characteristics of Celtis, there are some patches that look a bit dodgy... Fingers crossed, it might be a good one...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Large wounds on these don't heal fast, so either make it part of the design, or the back. I think I like the first side you showed first the best anyway. I like the movement, it's a cool tree so far... Hope it gives you lots of choices to work with come spring.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't wait to see where it sprouts.
Good challenge.
Thanks for showing.
Anthony

hmm - 2 feet tall ---- now that should be interesting.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
nice trunk, nice bark and nice nebari. When is it potted?

Repotted last year and i am adviced not to repot it this year yet

It has nice movement, the base has it's obvious flaws. There are some small cut wounds that show no callus, how old looks the wood on the removed branches? Totally chop back is often hit or miss, depending on the species. Selling "risky" material is not a good thing to do in my opinion. I don't know the bark characteristics of Celtis, there are some patches that look a bit dodgy... Fingers crossed, it might be a good one...

the seller has quite a few nice tree's and even made a video with hans van meer last week on his yamadori pine
He is also friends with steve from bonsai yume and there is were he got this tree from so i am confident he knows what he's doing and that the chop is a hit!

I agree on the bark that some patches look different (more green and not plated) but also i dont know the species so well..

The flaws at the base can you explain?

I am thinking to take some cuttings next year to attempt some root grafts to improve the nebari

When was it chopped?:confused:

Bare as a babies bottom, that's an odd one......o_O:D:D:D:D

It was chopped this fal after the tree went dormant
He told me it had an uninteresting straight portion above the chop thats why he chopped it.

Can't wait to see where it sprouts.
Good challenge.
Thanks for showing.
Anthony

hmm - 2 feet tall ---- now that should be interesting.

So do i!
2 feet tall?
You mean the height the tree should be 2 feet according to the size of the base?

Large wounds on these don't heal fast, so either make it part of the design, or the back. I think I like the first side you showed first the best anyway. I like the movement, it's a cool tree so far... Hope it gives you lots of choices to work with come spring.

Ive been reading that quite a few times now about healing wounds
i hope to get a runner on top to see if it will do anything to the wound i dont dislike having some deadwood on decideous tree's tough :)

As front i like the first pic too but there are some more interesting angles and also the tree will decide were to grow new branches wich also could help me decide on the front

I will be looking allot at it and think of how i like it to become one day !

Reaction score
@defra i really hope that this stump is going to explode in spring. I remember the tree now, i seen it at Facebook.
Schermafbeelding 2017-11-30 om 00.05.07.png
In my opinion, he should have to wait. selling this tree. I don't no much, but nobody knows the health of this one.
I'm not to juge people, and i don't know everything.

Reaction score
There are a few big roots and a little higher some others. So you will have to graft, but first let the tree grow.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry, without the @ I don't know when someone replies to me.

Excellent to see growth. Yes, 2.5 cm trunk = 15 cm height as
a guideline.

Suggestion big pot or ground and just let it grow.

Only now testing Celtis c. so can offer no growing / healing advice.

On my side the Celtis l. and Celtis a. will heal slowly if branches
are allowed to extend.
Will be enjoying this effort over the years.
Good Day
Anthony

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This tree has been growing Realy well!
In June I went on and did a little more carving to the dead part of the trunk
The idea is to make the bulge a partly hollow trunk

The roots below the dead side seem to be alive since there was a leaf popping out of what I assumed to be dead but will find that out for sure if I'm gonna repot it next year

I first drilled a hole with a drill down to the bottom where I want it to start the hollowing on that side but there is another reason, rain will get in and go trough the hollow exiting at the bottom causing it to get wet dry wet dry to make the hollowing beside carving also a natural Proces.
Then I started to open op the trunk with my dremel from the front in a curved v shape to give it some dimension and also to carve some wood away at the inside for now I will nature do its thing for a couple years since this tree needs allot of development anyway so I got time and hey who makes the pretties deadwood? Still mother nature :)

Here are some (bad) detail pics of the process I'll try to add a better Pic of the whole tree tomorrow

Before:
IMG_20190602_123213.jpg

Drilling the first hole:
IMG_20190602_125110.jpg

Some more drilling done and carved the trunk open a bit rest is up to mother nature
IMG_20190602_142624.jpg

IMG_20190602_144401.jpg

The result so far
IMG_20190602_144440.jpg

IMG_20190602_142725.jpg

Also @BobbyLane thankyou for your inspirational shared work on deadwood and hollow trunks in development and the pics you always provide with it from tree's in nature Realy enjoy the posts of the work you share it kinda gave me a direction for this tree if you have any tips or tricks for the future I'd love to hear them if I f'ed up you can just tell me too tough :p

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Some pics from yesterday

IMG_20190821_215057.jpg

IMG_20190821_215033.jpg

IMG_20190821_215014.jpg

IMG_20190821_215050.jpg

IMG_20190821_215041.jpg

IMG_20190821_214909.jpg