Central Florida Driftwood

Danteswake

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b-
So on a nature hike I came across a simple piece of driftwood. Do we clean them or are they good to go? I found others that I'd actually need a chainsaw for but small find small question. 20210223_142518.jpg

Danteswake

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b-
20210302_140008.jpgJust before adding this to a plant I noticed this. Even after letting it bake in hot sun for days. Research shows this, Rosellinia Necatrix. A fungus.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
nice! i have had a piece of driftwood from horseneck beach i brought home about 8 years ago. it was nice and dried out and has been
above my bedframe (instead of antlers, for instance) mounted for years. never smelled, and turned into a conversation piece ;)
love me some driftwood! and Florida. ive been collecting seaglass for decades

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
View attachment 357858Just before adding this to a plant I noticed this. Even after letting it bake in hot sun for days. Research shows this, Rosellinia Necatrix. A fungus.
Baking in the sun won't do anything that I'm aware of. I did read a bit...some do boil them to remove the salt. But it's still not guaranteed safe for fresh water aquarium use. Makes me question how safe it is with plant life. You can't water a plant with water softener...the salt will build up in the pot and create the plant from taking nutrients. The reason I bake mine for the reptiles...it kills any pests that maybe lurking inside the wood. Again mine is coming from rural woods from streams. So no salt.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
View attachment 357858Just before adding this to a plant I noticed this. Even after letting it bake in hot sun for days. Research shows this, Rosellinia Necatrix. A fungus.
Lightly sandblast it clean then soak, but i'm sure you can find better pieces.

Here are some of my pieces I've found along the bay. One day they will be tanuki's......I think......I hope

thumbnail_20210302_150728.jpg
thumbnail_20210302_150809.jpg
thumbnail_20210302_150843.jpg
thumbnail_20210302_150850.jpg

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Lightly sandblast it clean then soak, but i'm sure you can find better pieces.

Here are some of my pieces I've found along the bay. One day they will be tanuki's......I think......I hope

View attachment 357860
View attachment 357861
View attachment 357862
View attachment 357863
very nice. you into blue crab down there or? someday ill get down there for some waves (assateague, sp?) and dive into a picnic table of old bay crabs

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
very nice. you into blue crab down there or? someday ill get down there for some waves (assateague, sp?) and dive into a picnic table of old bay crabs
Nope, I don't eat crabs. My son and I were at assateague a couple weeks ago, windy as hell that day and lots of waves. I'm on the western shore.

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Baking in the sun won't do anything that I'm aware of. I did read a bit...some do boil them to remove the salt. But it's still not guaranteed safe for fresh water aquarium use. Makes me question how safe it is with plant life. You can't water a plant with water softener...the salt will build up in the pot and create the plant from taking nutrients. The reason I bake mine for the reptiles...it kills any pests that maybe lurking inside the wood. Again mine is coming from rural woods from streams. So no salt.
+1 on the boil method. I have done this multiple times with Bald Cypress knees and the bonus is that it allows you to scoop any old crud off of the surface. If using for a tanuki then you can apply the appropriate preservative to your liking, or if decorative apply a good oil to make the grain pop. The grain on my oiled BC knees looks like deer fur, very cool.

That piece look a wee bit small... I think you need to break out that chainsaw:
20200621_140206.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
+1 on the boil method. I have done this multiple times with Bald Cypress knees and the bonus is that it allows you to scoop any old crud off of the surface. If using for a tanuki then you can apply the appropriate preservative to your liking, or if decorative apply a good oil to make the grain pop. The grain on my oiled BC knees looks like deer fur, very cool.

That piece look a wee bit small... I think you need to break out that chainsaw:
View attachment 357933
Very cool!

Danteswake

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b-
Thanks everyone! I will try to clean it up and make it pop. I love these pieces of wood and may as well get to the proper maintenance required.

Danteswake

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b-
Hey Hendo when you say appropriate preservative to my liking are you referring to color or brand? If you have a brand it would point me in the right direction. - John

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Hey Hendo when you say appropriate preservative to my liking are you referring to color or brand? If you have a brand it would point me in the right direction. - John
It really depends on what your plan is for the wood.

If you want to try a Tanuki / Phoenix Graft, I've outline my personal process here in the link below - however I think you could find a more suitable piece for this purpose. The clear epoxy a lot of people here in Houston use as a preservative is Smith's CPES Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer, the warm weather formula. I apply lime sulphur beforehand to get a bleached look for junipers. I've also used India Ink to darken the lime sulphur for carved areas on Bald Cypress bonsai:

If you are using the piece otherwise, for some other type of display, you can use an oil treatment. Here's a boiled Bald Cypress knee with linseed oil:
20210316_132858.jpg
20210316_132910.jpg

Here's a hand carved Bald Cypress dugout pirogue treated with green tea, untreated area on bottom side:
20210316_133013.jpg
20210316_133026.jpg

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
nice! i have had a piece of driftwood from horseneck beach i brought home about 8 years ago. it was nice and dried out and has been
above my bedframe (instead of antlers, for instance) mounted for years. never smelled, and turned into a conversation piece ;)
love me some driftwood! and Florida. ive been collecting seaglass for decades
Where do you find seaglass in Florida?

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
TBH, there's not that much seaglass around like there used to be. In St. Martin I was on a beach and could have filled a gallon sack in an hour. It was crazy and beautiful.

Also, at some old school very tacky shell shops on the side of the road in Florida beach towns...Some of those shell shops have old driftwood for sale. We have a place in St. Augustine and there's a truck that drives down the beach most mornings and a guy throws driftwood into his truck after the tides been out, usually after a big storm. I never understood what he did with it but people do all kinds of things....Building furniture with it is popular and selling it to the tacky shell shops is another...

Top Bottom