Ceramic bonsai pot drainage hole size.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wanted to start this thread because I am curious to hear from others if the drainage hole plays an important role when deciding to place their tree in one or in their purchase.
For me I do not like them that small. I worry about the air flow in the lower portion of the container. Is my concern really a big deal?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is no airflow underground.😉

I like a centered hole to keep the core from remaining too wet.

But depending on your soil, watering, local humidity, tree, etc etc etc....

It's rather case by case.

Sorce

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
1" drain holes (that's after pot has dried) in smaller pots (4-8") with 1/4" wiring holes. Bigger pots, still 1" holes, but more of them as the pots get bigger. One of the problems I have found with drain holes is that the mesh covering them is to small and gets clogged. Mesh for drain holes should be minimum of 3/16 inside measurements IMO. All the ones I find are 1/8" or less. I would like to find some larger mesh and feel that would make the drainage much better.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The size of drain holes is a major consideration in buying a bonsai pot. Sizes, however, are all over the place, from extremely large to tiny. I've got one 20" by 2" pot with drain holes two inches across. All things being equal, the larger the drain holes, the better, that is especially true for shallower pots. Shallow pots by their nature don't drain as well as a relatively taller pot.

As for air not flowing underground, that's not true. It's particularly not true for a bonsai in a pot. Good drainage and porous materials insure that each time you water, air is drawn down into and through the soil. Aerating roots in the process. Gas exchange is almost as important as moisture.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
1" drain holes (that's after pot has dried) in smaller pots (4-8") with 1/4" wiring holes. Bigger pots, still 1" holes, but more of them as the pots get bigger. One of the problems I have found with drain holes is that the mesh covering them is to small and gets clogged. Mesh for drain holes should be minimum of 3/16 inside measurements IMO. All the ones I find are 1/8" or less. I would like to find some larger mesh and feel that would make the drainage much better.
I’m pretty sure the screen I buy is over 1/8. I’ll have to check though I forgot the brand.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The size of drain holes is a major consideration in buying a bonsai pot. Sizes, however, are all over the place, from extremely large to tiny. I've got one 20" by 2" pot with drain holes two inches across. All things being equal, the larger the drain holes, the better, that is especially true for shallower pots. Shallow pots by their nature don't drain as well as a relatively taller pot.

As for air not flowing underground, that's not true. It's particularly not true for a bonsai in a pot. Good drainage and porous materials insure that each time you water, air is drawn down into and through the soil. Aerating roots in the process. Gas exchange is almost as important as moisture.
That makes a lot of sense. I figure those little pierced holes I see near the bottom on the side of cascades is for air circulation.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That makes a lot of sense. I figure those little pierced holes I see near the bottom on the side of cascades is for air circulation.
Those smaller holes are holes for tie down wires, most likely.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I have gotten a pot with a slightly curved bottom, being higher in the center than closer to the sides; in this case, five holes were present in the pot ( an oval, big and shallow), one in the center and 4 around the perimeter forming a cross. I own also two small ovals with tho holes - no center hole. They all work OK as drainage is concerned.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The cascade pots with holes on lower sides may be orchid pots. Of course that are suitable for bonsai as well.
I saw the cascade pot in a video on a tour of a bonsai garden in Japan. They were on one side lower bottom potion 6 holes arranged in a V. I copied it on a cascade I made it’s not as tall though.

Top Bottom