Ceramic Rock Planting

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
Just took another look, couldn’t pass up a great deal that you are offering, and free shipping.
Thanks

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey! Look what arrived in my mailbox today :D

20230117_143038.jpg 20230117_143143.jpg 20230117_142933.jpg

Style wise, the 3rd one is my favorite! I don't have anything appropriate for it at the moment though...sigh...

Need wise, the second one will likely replace an @sorce pot that is home to my Christmas (well, starting to look like Valentine's!) cactus as soon as it finishes blooming.

20230117_143427.jpg

That's one of my favorite sorce pots, but the cactus is way too top heavy for that tapered base. I've been on the lookout for something in that size with a more stable base and this may be it! Hey @BrightsideB I think I heard you say "plantings" and not necessarily "bonsai", right ;)

These pots have a nice solid heft to them! I'm looking forward to seeing something bigger though...hint, hint...

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey! Look what arrived in my mailbox today :D

View attachment 469073 View attachment 469074 View attachment 469072

Style wise, the 3rd one is my favorite! I don't have anything appropriate for it at the moment though...sigh...

Need wise, the second one will likely replace an @sorce pot that is home to my Christmas (well, starting to look like Valentine's!) cactus as soon as it finishes blooming.

View attachment 469076

That's one of my favorite sorce pots, but the cactus is way too top heavy for that tapered base. I've been on the lookout for something in that size with a more stable base and this may be it! Hey @BrightsideB I think I heard you say "plantings" and not necessarily "bonsai", right ;)

These pots have a nice solid heft to them! I'm looking forward to seeing something bigger though...hint, hint...
I’ve had several people buy my bonsai pots that totally speak bonsai for their succulent’s. I like making most my pots a little thicker at the base. Not a lot of people tie their trees to the bench so I want to accommodate for that. I’m so glad you like them! It means a lot!

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve had several people buy my bonsai pots that totally speak bonsai for their succulent’s. I like making most my pots a little thicker at the base. Not a lot of people tie their trees to the bench so I want to accommodate for that. I’m so glad you like them! It means a lot!

I have quite a number of succulents in "bonsai" pots :) Bulbs too. And orchids. I find the standard "houseplant" pots are too deep for most things I like to grow.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 469110View attachment 469112
Thanks @BrightsideB !

The pots look great! The texture on the rock pot is excellent. Curious how you did that?
Awesome! It’s a commercial glaze but I find it very fitting. I have a white one that reacts well with other glazes and pigments/oxides to create different colors and textures. Sometimes added in on some areas it can almost look like a growth or barnacle. I did a pot like this and it looked ancient as if it was pulled out of an old shipwreck. But they are great on these rock/organic looking pieces. Can’t wait to see what you do with it! The large one I started this thread with should be done next week. I’m finding it hard to choose what kind of finishing work I’m gonna do.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have the piece I started this thread with completed! Wanted to fire it with some cascades I was working on so it took a little longer to get in the kiln then I expected. I personally really see a forest on top and filled in with moss and smaller plants maybe some smaller shohin size trees in the larger cavities or at the base.
0FA52908-E515-4217-AFCE-0BA6CFB5BA89.jpeg9B0CACF3-D405-4AD6-BE36-16B4E4B2509F.jpeg8BFE4B00-F104-4F7C-9B91-BA40C9119F33.jpeg

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have the piece I started this thread with completed! Wanted to fire it with some cascades I was working on so it took a little longer to get in the kiln then I expected. I personally really see a forest on top and filled in with moss and smaller plants maybe some smaller shohin size trees in the larger cavities or at the base.
View attachment 470281View attachment 470285View attachment 470284

I love it!

Not sure about a forest though??

Not a criticism; just my opinion:

The glaze feels too light to me for this style. The light glaze makes me think more arid and rocky which clashes with the rounded/smooth contours in my mind. But I'm from the midwest where our forest dirt is rich and black!

Thinking more arid but not rocky desert! I'd maybe go with a cork oak or maybe an olive? It's a quirky pot so maybe a sage or even rosemary? And grasses instead of moss. Dammit...now I have ideas and see it for sale in your store!

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I love it!

Not sure about a forest though??

Not a criticism; just my opinion:

The glaze feels too light to me for this style. The light glaze makes me think more arid and rocky which clashes with the rounded/smooth contours in my mind. But I'm from the midwest where our forest dirt is rich and black!

Thinking more arid but not rocky desert! I'd maybe go with a cork oak or maybe an olive? It's a quirky pot so maybe a sage or even rosemary? And grasses instead of moss. Dammit...now I have ideas and see it for sale in your store!
That is so true! I never really thought about it the way you do with the color matching a landscape. I always think more like movement and color combinations that all work with each other. Also subconsciously a lot is done that I don’t understand.

But I have another finished drying on my table. The one I sent you a photo in the early stages. I think it came out really well! I’ll post some photo’s soon!

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks almost like some sort of coral.
I agree that it does resemble coral with all the cavities. The way I see this is more like if you were looking at some type of rock formation from a distance with area’s hosting plants/grasses and tree’s. I know it isn’t rigid and pointy like most rock formations. But the form is there. I am working on getting my textures right for more ideal rock formations. There is just some considerations like sharpness, area’s for ice to form in isn’t good, and parts that could be weak. But there will be an evolution going on with these! I appreciate all feedback, thanks!

Top Bottom