Cercis scion on Carob rootstock..

RyanSA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I will ask here, hopefully I will get answered.. In the general section I had none.

I am waiting for spring here in South Africa. I have a grafting in mind, but now realize it may not work.. We have Carob growing aplenty here. I would seriously like a small Redbud or Cercis Canadensis tree - not a good candidate for Bonsai I believe, but I want it badly.. Though they are in the same family, they are not from the same genus. Must they be from the same genus to work? All over google I read about apples and pears, not same genus, but same family - therefore it won't work. I have tried rooting some cuttings, they are difficult - tried seeds, can try again. Thing is, the tree is 150miles away from me and airlayering might not survive..

Attachments

• redbud.jpg
    redbud.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 3

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Some intergeneric grafts do work.
We use Myoporum as a cold/wet tolerant rootstock to graft the desert loving Eremophilas. I have some that are 10 years and showing no signs of any problem.
Citrus varieties are routinely grafted onto Poncirus trifoliata rootstock.
Pears are grafted onto quince as a dwarfing rootstock. Some pear varieties are incompatible with quince so an interstock of a compatible type can be sued to overcome that.
I believe that apple/pear can unite but are reputed to have delayed incompatibility. One grafter I talked to assured me it was possible.

I do not know how closely the species need to be to unite. I do not know why some intergeneric grafts are OK while others will not take or have delayed incompatibility.
You should try and see what happens.

Top Bottom