Chaenomeles Chonfusion: Quince Qaos

jszg

Mame
Reaction score
I was thinking about buying some non-chojubai chaenomeles, and I was wondering if anyone has some experience growing 'Hime', 'Orange Delight', and 'Not Minerva' - and especially how short are the internodes & how well they can fruit. I'll probably end up getting some of each, but Brent did warn me Orange Delight can get leaf spot in some climates.

(Surprisingly, I can't find too much information online on chaenomeles varieties the way I can about roses, clematis, rhododendron, etc., nor could I find a monograph on them)

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was thinking about buying some non-chojubai chaenomeles, and I was wondering if anyone has some experience growing 'Hime', 'Orange Delight', and 'Not Minerva' - and especially how short are the internodes & how well they can fruit. I'll probably end up getting some of each, but Brent did warn me Orange Delight can get leaf spot in some climates.

(Surprisingly, I can't find too much information online on chaenomeles varieties the way I can about roses, clematis, rhododendron, etc., nor could I find a monograph on them)
I might add not to rule out the species seedlings..
They bloom in a few years…..and are very vigourous and air layer too!!!

And even more exciting if you grow enough seeds you can select the interesting ones the varieties that naturally show up!!

And then perhaps propagate that one
90BBC84E-6FBC-4857-A943-247556386F14.jpeg8BDECEDC-BCFB-43A9-AC2A-32868784B294.jpeg1E755CF9-051B-4DBF-8987-E9314BD5796F.jpeg23D1A1CC-9F8A-4AA8-A578-DB5B25B75373.jpeg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
'Hime' has very short internodes, much like 'Chojubai'
Next is 'Not Minerva' it is half way to the more shrub size.

'Orange Delight's is more or less full size, a low shrub , but bigger or longer internodes than the previous two. My favorite in this size range is 'Iwai Nishiki'

jszg

Mame
Reaction score
I might add not to rule out the species seedlings..
They bloom in a few years…..and are very vigourous and air layer too!!!

And even more exciting if you grow enough seeds you can select the interesting ones the varieties that naturally show up!!

And then perhaps propagate that one
View attachment 472413View attachment 472414View attachment 472415View attachment 472416
Have you raised seed from Chojubai or the other dwarf varieties? I'm curious if the dwarfness is heritable (versus a sport or viral agent). Apparently 'Salmon Chojubai ' was found as a seedling. It could be a cheap route to fresh stock, and potentially a nice breeding project.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
@MichaelS has been hybridizing chojubai and other chaenomeles and getting some interesting new cultivars down here.
Chojubai seems to be self sterile here. Every year I get lots of fruit but never and seed inside. Guess it requires cross pollination with another chaenomeles to produce seed.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@jszg @Shibui

I need to get creative get some seed and just grow loads of them outside after starting them quickly indoors ,but like 20 seedlings and a 2 inch block of stonewool…. doing that with many species this year and they would be quite cool really.

It’s easiest once you see a root poking out just stick all the seeds in there …..they root prune very nicely and the trunk actually thickens up quite much inside that stonewool…..its amazingFBF17957-22B9-4922-9C70-AC66940C0A97.jpeg

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Has anyone grafted Chojubai on standard Japanese Quince? Is it successful? I was thinking it would be a great way to get a large trunk/base and primary branches but have the nice twigging and small leaf benefits of Chojubai.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Has anyone grafted Chojubai on standard Japanese Quince? Is it successful? I was thinking it would be a great way to get a large trunk/base and primary branches but have the nice twigging and small leaf benefits of Chojubai.
One major problem with this is that Chaenomeles sucker profusely and anything that grows below the graft will be original rootstock.
If you think you can control the suckers I think the graft would be successful.

jszg

Mame
Reaction score
A nursery online was offering rooted plugs of Chaenomeles so I took the opportunity to snag Jet Trail, Texas Scarlet, Susan's Sunrise, and Tanechka. (I'm holding off on Evergreen Gardenworks until the other plants I'd like to pick up become available.)

What I would *really* like, however, is a 3 or 5 gal. quince to start playing around with immediately. But those are either strangely expensive (over $100??), available wholesale, or don't ship.

Top Bottom