Chaenomeles japonica "quince"

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I Know chinese quince has far better and finer branching but could i go for hokidachi with This Japanese quince?

anyone sugestions?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You have a nice single trunk, not real common to get in Chaenomeles, why not keep it that way? Work with strengths of material actually in front of you.

Chaenomeles are more often used for medium to shohin sizes, and as accents. Chinese quince tend to be used for medium to large size bonsai. This is a trend, not absolute.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The branch on The right has inverse taper at The end so it has to go i think
i dont want to make a clump style out of i was looking for maybe broom if thats doable with This species but hell im Just going to try :D

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think it'll be best as a informal upright, clump, or something like similar to this (I don't know how to describe it. Penjing-like? It looks like something that belongs on a nice scroll). If a broom, then I think an informal broom.
If you go the clump or informal upright, I'd save branches and roots for cuttings; you could end up needing them even for grafting on branches.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I'm in the situation you're in right now, I just let the tree grow for a year or so to see what it does. That gives you time to figure out if the tree's natural behavior can work in your favor and will suggest what it can become. I do think you should go with the single trunk option. That's what it is now.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you are going to remove that branch on the right, maybe layer it right under the knob. That way you'll have a mini clump and the original tree improved.

Sounds like a plan

I think it'll be best as a informal upright, clump, or something like similar to this (I don't know how to describe it. Penjing-like? It looks like something that belongs on a nice scroll). If a broom, then I think an informal broom.
If you go the clump or informal upright, I'd save branches and roots for cuttings; you could end up needing them even for grafting on branches.

as fred and Leo sugested im not going for clump style also i dont see the comparision with your link

i was thinking something like This :
2017-02-09 16.55.16.png

mad smartphone drawing skils!

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
i dont want to make a clump style out of i was looking for maybe broom if thats doable with This species but hell im Just going to try :D
Defra, you could airlayer at the bulk on the right branch to create a clump.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b

I am not singling out just you, I have seen many, usually less than 5 years into this hobby, get very concerned about reverse taper. Relax, reverse taper is not always a fatal flaws. Reverse taper can be corrected in young material. Any time plans include increasing trunk diameter for a tree, there are ample opportunities to fix a zone of reverse taper. In the case of your tree, that right branch does need to go, so that is an easy fix. But when you look at other trees, and see reverse taper, remember that there are ways to fix it. Only in trees near exhibition quality is reverse taper a serious flaw, because at this stage there won't be much more growth.

Zones of reverse taper are important to note, and make plans to fix. It is important to keep an eye on this when "building a bonsai" with young material.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
thank you for your reply Leo very well explained something to keep in mind!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Like duscussed i placed an airlayer on the big lump on the end of the branch

Step 1: cut and peel off a ring of bark and cambium
Step 2: put hormone powder on the place where the new roots are going to form
Step 3: pack in spaghmum moss with foil and tie it in place with a wire
Step 4: put on black foil to keep the light away and help to warm it up
Step 5: remember to keep it moist

rps20170514_000641.jpg rps20170514_000656.jpg rps20170514_000715.jpg rps20170514_000736.jpg

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yesterday i decided to go and look at the airlayer and decided to cut it off

It had a few white roots and i tool the gamble
Pruned the airlayer back some to reduce the foliage to where i hope this new roots will be able to suport the remaining green

rps20170623_105136.jpg rps20170623_105206.jpg rps20170623_105252.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good deal, both trees will be nice! Do you think you'll get new growth on the branch stub?

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good deal, both trees will be nice! Do you think you'll get new growth on the branch stub?

I think so yes but the back of the tree will have an interesting feature id like to hollow it out allong with the stub of the branch wich i left on for that purpose going to be a fun tree i like to get it as natural as possible

Top Bottom