Chaenomeles speciosa vs Japanese Quince or Flowering Quince

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Came across a few nice larger quinces today and they were labeled Chaenomeles speciosa. Is this the same as flowering quince or Japanese quince?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Came across a few nice larger quinces today and they were labeled Chaenomeles speciosa. Is this the same as flowering quince or Japanese quince?

Yes, that is a Japanese Quince. Most times they are listed as a hybrid with a 'name' following the C.S. The name usually references flower color or some other highlight feature. They are not chojubai and most likely standard size not dwarf. The hybrids are usually developed for flower color and for landscaping, so they tend to grow larger and faster.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score

I think Don answered your question well. Do you know what kind you saw? I'm not liking some of the new hybrids. Some seem to get blight and die easily if you sneeze at them. Also grow with less vigor compared to my favorite, Toyo Nishiki.

My experience with Toyo nishiki has been positive. Even after getting blight, they usually bounce back. They grow quickly and make beautiful traditional looking flowers. I also like how the flowers bloom commonly when there is little or no foliage.

How delicate is the popular traditional chojubai? It appears to be a slow grower. How does it respond to blight?

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thank you, all--

Honestly I'm not entirely sure of what the name was-- there were three total of differing colors. Looking back now, I'm glad I didn't get it. I have several quince, such as toyo nishiki, and really enjoy them and when I got home to see my own plants I could see they were superior genetically. Shorter internodes, what few leaves they have this early are smaller, more robust... anyway, I was curious because I do troll nurseries for potential stock and was happy to see they had such an offering-- even if not for bonsai, these plants are lovely.

I ordered toyonishiki improved and three contorted quince from Brent at evergreen.... can't help it, I love these things, even as little sticks.

Top Bottom