Chainsaw Cutting/Carving Wheel for Grinder

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Any recommendations on a good cutting/carving wheel?
I've ordered a few off brand on Ebay but they dull out so quickly... Wondering if you all have a specific brand you guys and gals like most.
Do you find less teeth or more teeth is better for "wet" wood.
Thanks!

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Key question I think is what are you going to do with it? I like dremel style cutting bits better myself than the chainsaw style. One used kaizan and samurai tools with great results.

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Check out Hawk Eye Bonsai in TX

As far as I can tell, the "flying Saucer" is the only thing he sells! It's small, so most appropriate for detail work when using Dremel. Well, it's great in the right hands, and those are not my hands... but Jennifer Price uses these all the time and she is quite the carver.

Cuts on both front and rear faces, and stays sharp and doesn't load up, at least not so far when applied to my American hornbeam (a.k.a. ironwood, mind you) and cypress and privet trees.

Sort of spendy, but I think they're imported from Germany so likely some up-front costs involved for the retailer.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Take a look at bonsai nibblers. I tried them, never looked back. I only use a chainsaw on my 2 person olive tree.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I like dremel
Yep use dremel for fine detailing but making chops on cypress with one would take too long. The chainsaw disk makes short work and there’s enough control to be remove material.
This one is one I may try next....
03FD815F-02BF-4363-BD17-E8D10D9C7ED2.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I've had an arbortech mini grinder for years. https://www.arbortechtools.com/us/mini-carver-range/
The original blades dulled very quick but could be sharpened with a chainsaw file. The newer tungsten tip blades have done a lot of work and still cut well. Good for bulk removal but still a bit limited in tight spots.
The larger version fits straight on an angle grinder and takes off a lot of wood but even more limited in tighter spots.
After bulk carving move to the dremel or similar for finer work or to get into tight spots. Still looking for a good carving bit for it though.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
We used Arbortech blades for hollowing out fronts and backs of double basses. Amazing bits of kit and one blade would last for years and years. I can’t recommend any particular type as I don’t know what they’re called, but the quality is unquestionable.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Not to scare anyone from the safe use of tool cutters like these. I remember this video and post it as using safe practice & PPE.

Attachments

• B7A74495-4039-4EF2-A892-4E50F00C1C02.png
    B7A74495-4039-4EF2-A892-4E50F00C1C02.png
    357.8 KB · Views: 29

johnbaz

Mame
Reaction score
I have a die grinder and tent to use rotary files but as the wood is living, The sap clogs the fine blades, I've seriously thought of going through my Router bits (Some are similar to the Nibbler!), I also use a small Dremel type tool with rotary files, For some reason these don't clog!!
wyLQrst.jpg
l2yb9dp.jpg

John 👍

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Not to scare anyone
Super dangerous to use without a doubt.... Safer with a side stalk for control. Until this post I have never found anything that can cut a 45degree chop as smoothly as the chainsaw disk.

Lots of great info on carving and chopping tools here! Thanks everyone!!!

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have used the Arbortech and the Lancelot chain saw wheel. The chain saw wheel scares the crap out of me! I find it hard to control. I would highly recommend the Arbortech tool.

Top Bottom