Chamaecyparis obtusa advice and help

bonsaimagic

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
This is my new Hinoki Cypress I received last week. It has some burnt foliage and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I should be doing? Thanks in advance guys!

Attachments

• IMG_1168.jpg
    IMG_1168.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1169.jpg
    IMG_1169.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1177.jpg
    IMG_1177.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1178.jpg
    IMG_1178.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1181.jpg
    IMG_1181.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 46

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice little Hinoki. It looks reasonably healthy. A little ''bronzing" of foliage is normal in winter in my area, though we are quite a bit colder than you are in Austin.

In Chicago-land & Milwaukee areas, we keep our Hinoki in full sun. In Texas, I suspect that afternoon shade would help, especially when temperatures are above 90 F. Your bronzing could be just a touch of sunburn. Though I would not consider it "bad", I would do nothing unless the condition spread. Hinoki come from temperate rain forests and Island forests, in both cases high temperatures are rare. Heat always comes with high humidity. In Texas low humidity and high heat can be a problem for hinoki.

Basically, if you are growing this tree outdoors, it looks quite healthy.

Too much water, would be yellow tips to new foliage that would spread to more of the older foliage. If it was too little water, the browning would start at the tips of tender new foliage and spread inward. Remember, Hinoki do not tolerate drought. They like to go from wet to damp-medium moist then back to wet again. Bone dry is a fatal condition for Hinoki.

So my recommendation is to do nothing, except stay on top of watering - which means check to see if it needs water frequently, but only water when it actually needs it. In winter this won't be every day, you might go a few days between watering. In summer this can be more than once a day depending on your heat and humidity or lack of humidity.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
To add to what Leo said, keep it out of the wind, especially if the soil is frozen. Hinoki's are very thirsty plants (but do not like to have wet roots, go figure) and are easily desicated, which make soil choice important. Mine do well in 1:1 akadama and pumice, but your climate is drier than mine, so you could use a higher percentage of akadama and/or a deeper pot. Full sun in summer works for me here, but I suspect you would need some afternoon shade, as Leo suggested.

bonsaimagic

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
P.S. I am assuming this is being kept outdoors, it is a very cold tolerant species of tree. If you have it indoors, it should be moved outside as soon as possible.

Thank you, I appreciate it. I am in the do nothing but monitor everything mode and have been since acquiring the tree. This is one of three trees sent to me from a buddy from Seattle WA area. Yes, the tree is kept outdoors and out of the wind. All my bonsai trees stay outside, except my 2 tropical Jacarandas which I stick in my grow room under lights. Thank you kindly for the advice, I appreciate it. Our temps here in the summer are crazy hot and humid. Our nights are 78 for the low, 104 for the high w/ 88% nighttime humidity and daytime 40+ so I hope this Hinoki will acclimate. I took pics of our temps this summer and I'll attach them to this reply. I will definitely have to provide morning sun perhaps and afternoon shade. The tree is 4 yrs old. I have it a 1 gallon pot, but do you recommend me move it to a 2 or 3 gal size? I got him out of the plastic rootballl and into the new pot on Christmas day so I hate to re-pot it again, so some wisdom on that would be helpful. I have it in the following mix of substrates : 1/4 Turface 1/4 Akadama 1/4 Pumice 1/4 Black Lava. This was all I had on hand last week but have red lava and pumice arriving Friday along with some of Bonsai Jack's Organic Conifer Mix pH5.8 - - 1/4 inch Douglas Fir Bark 1/4 inch Pumice 1/4 inch Lava 1/4 inch Monto Clay 1/4 inch Horticulture Charcoal. I will keep on top of the watering and I am taking pics everyday to monitor the "bronzing". My bonsai mentor also advised me of the seasonality of the foliage. But I am new to Bonsai and I am the "absorb all knowledge like a sponge" phase =) I also, attached some daytime pics of the Hinoki with full sun. Happy New Year Leo!

Attachments

• IMG_9737.jpg
    IMG_9737.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9738.jpg
    IMG_9738.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9743.jpg
    IMG_9743.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1136.jpg
    IMG_1136.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1138.jpg
    IMG_1138.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1140.jpg
    IMG_1140.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 30

bonsaimagic

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
To add to what Leo said, keep it out of the wind, especially if the soil is frozen. Hinoki's are very thirsty plants (but do not like to have wet roots, go figure) and are easily desicated, which make soil choice important. Mine do well in 1:1 akadama and pumice, but your climate is drier than mine, so you could use a higher percentage of akadama and/or a deeper pot. Full sun in summer works for me here, but I suspect you would need some afternoon shade, as Leo suggested.

Thanks for the help Stan, much appreciated. Please see the attachments I sent Leo with the pics of the temps. I am doing more research as the days go by and I will consult a person around this area for some knowledge about how to care for this tree in this intense summer heat. The coast is a few hours away and we get the south winds with humidity in the summer most days. I have the tree in a 1 gallon pot, but do you recommend me move to a 2 or 3 gal size? Happy New Year Stan!

bonsaimagic

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Here are some of my other trees I started from seed in April in my grow room. I have a few Norway Spruces, Black Spruces, Bristlecone Pines, Jacarandas. I am planning on driving these conifers into dormancy by the end of Feb so I'll be ready for re-pot sessions next Spring. Look at the explosive growth the past few weeks from the Norway Spruce in pic 3 and then again a few weeks later in pic 6 when I put a white paper behind it.

Attachments

• IMG_0974.jpg
    IMG_0974.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Picea Abies 1.jpg
    Picea Abies 1.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Picea Abies 2 Picea Mariana 1-4.PNG
    Picea Abies 2 Picea Mariana 1-4.PNG
    166.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Picea Abies 2 Pinus Aristata 1 Picea Mariana 1-4.jpg
    Picea Abies 2 Pinus Aristata 1 Picea Mariana 1-4.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1154.jpg
    IMG_1154.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1145.jpg
    IMG_1145.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0978.jpg
    IMG_0978.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 23

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the help Stan, much appreciated. Please see the attachments I sent Leo with the pics of the temps. I am doing more research as the days go by and I will consult a person around this area for some knowledge about how to care for this tree in this intense summer heat. The coast is a few hours away and we get the south winds with humidity in the summer most days. I have the tree in a 1 gallon pot, but do you recommend me move to a 2 or 3 gal size? Happy New Year Stan!
The pot size looks good relative to the size of the tree, especially being deeper, although I do not have experience with temperatures that high. It would be best to get advice from locals who have successfully grown hinoki, given your relatively unique climate.

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That little Hinoki is gonna cook in the summer, down there. Come summer time. Good luck with it

bonsaimagic

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Update on my Hinoki - - the bronzing of foliage has slowly disappeared. The first pic is end of Dec and last two pics are today.

Attachments

• IMG_1168.jpg
    IMG_1168.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1626.jpg
    IMG_1626.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1627.jpg
    IMG_1627.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 23

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice Hinoki! Come warmer weather you probably will need to watch the watering very closely as mentioned. They like water.
Partial shade will help.
Soil mix may need a little organics to help with moisture retention. Pine bark compost seems to be a popular amendment where the trees don't like to be totally dry between watering

bonsaimagic

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
SNOW in Austin TX last night, a very rare sight for us down here. It lasted for an hour, but I've seen snow 3 times in 20+ years living here. Had to post this picture of the Hinoki with it collecting on top =) 42 days until Spring, and the days are getting longer ya'll !!

Attachments

• IMG_1676.jpg
    IMG_1676.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 28

bonsaimagic

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
That little Hinoki is gonna cook in the summer, down there. Come summer time. Good luck with it
You
You obviously know NOTHING, GONNA COOK IN THE SUMMER DOWN THERE...LOL you can SUCK MY NUTSACK A$$HOLE

Attachments

• Hinoki June.jpg
    Hinoki June.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 19

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess this is my fault!

Welcome to Crazy!

Teabags are for fertilizer!

Sorce