Chamaecyparis Obtusa "Nana" for first timer?

Nubster

Sapling
Reaction score
Found what I think is a decent looking Chamaecyparis Obtusa "Nana" at one of the local nurseries. The trunk seems to have decent character and the greenery is very full so there is lots to work with. The root ball is wrapped in burlap rather than potted...not sure if that is an issue. The price was $50. Does that seem to be a fair price? I will post up a couple crappy cell phone pics in a minute...

Nubster

Sapling
Reaction score
ChamaecyparisObtusa.jpg

ChamaecyparisObtusa1.jpg

ChamaecyparisObtusa2.jpg

MattB

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Can't see any pictures yet, so it's a bit hard to say much about it. False Cypress seem a bit unusual as a species for a beginner, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be worth a shot if you found something that interests you in the tree. Just make sure you get help from someone experienced or it will not be a very good learning experience for yourself. I know I saw a pretty cool example of this species on here not too long ago, hopefully they will chime in. I have this bookmarked from about a year ago, so don't shoot me for sending you to another site...one of the members here wrote this nursery stock tutorial so check it out if you haven't:

http://www.bonsaisite.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9905

To sum it up, go look at as many plants as you possibly can. Look for something that will lend itself to bonsai. Check the trunk, taper, base, roots, and movement. You have to remember that if it doesn't have at least 2 of those things, it's going to be a long slow ungratifying road for the next few years and quite possibly will never have much potential. What I seem to notice is that people either look at only the biggest stock or they buy a stick. Don't exclude the shrubs, they often can be easy to work with. My suggestion to you is to pick something that will backbud easily and grow fairly quickly. Having those two qualities will allow the plant to overcome any mistakes you will inevitably make as a beginner. From one beginner to another, I can tell you that you can almost butcher a barberry, cotoneaster, boxwood, or crape myrtle and they wont skip a beat. I won't give much advice outside of those species because I've not had any experience. Another reason these deciduous species are great for a beginner is because when you make drastic cuts in spring you get enough growth throughout the year to feel like you have made some progress. One of your biggest issues as a beginner will be wanting some sort of success to keep you interested; patience is not something we are born with.

As far as the price tag, you are on your own. Unless I really really liked a plant and it had some fantastic features that translated well to bonsai, I would not spend $50. You have to remember that these plants will usually be years behind developed stock. On the other hand, your budget is no doubtedly different than mine. Other people on this website wouldn't think twice about buying $50 material in droves for future projects. It is all relative to the buyer.

Last edited:

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
Key features of a bonsai that are hardest to develop if they are deficient are the lower trunk and the surface roots. I would not buy a tree with out examining those which in this case would mean removing some burlap and soil. (You may want an experienced person with you to help with what to look for.)

I will say that $50 is a reasonable price for that tree as nursery stock but it may not be worth that much as bonsai stock. That depends not only on the nebari but on your pocket book and your willingness to take chances as you learn.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One of the main problems with this tree for a beginner isn't the tree itself so much as what it's planted in. As it is still in burlap it's almost certainly in what can only be called a mudball... it's super silty soil that can be a bear for a newer learner to work through. Getting it out of that soil and happy in bonsai soil can be a crap shoot, mostly because you'll have a tendency to break off a lot of roots in the process.

You'd do so much better to spend more money on a tree which has already been grown for the purpose of bonsai. In fact... it'll save you money in the end and provide you better results faster.

BUT... that being said... it doesn't mean you shouldn't buy this tree. Just make sure you've exhausted whatever actual bonsai material may be available to you locally first. Keep your expectations of it in line with what it's capable of being... and be willing to take your time. Getting it out of the soil and happily into bonsai soil is a process not a sprint. Also familiarize yourself with how they grow and what they need to be happy before you buy it. You won't be allowed to open up the rootball and wash away enough of the soil to get a sense of your base... but that isn't that much of a big deal right now because your only job is to worry about learning how to keep it alive. Horticulture before art... because the latter means nothing without the former. If you can learn to grow the tree well, it'll prepare you for being able to take care of the trees which will truly satisfy your interest in the art.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Last edited:

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Victrinia brings up some very important points. Also, one thing that you will need to know before you buy this particular species is that it will never back bud. In other words, it will only grow foliage from where it is green, never were there is wood. You usually have to do some crafty wiring to bend the branches to make it look like it has more foliage in the right places.

On another note, it does look like it has some potential to be a good bonsai. However, it is difficult to tell with just pics.

Rob

Nubster

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Lots of great advice. I will skip this one and look for something a little more my level. I do think in the right hands it would have had good potential though. I plan to hit up a bonsai nursery end of the month plus keep an eye out at the other local nurseries as well as looking around for some yamadori.

MattB

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks everyone. Lots of great advice. I will skip this one and look for something a little more my level. I do think in the right hands it would have had good potential though. I plan to hit up a bonsai nursery end of the month plus keep an eye out at the other local nurseries as well as looking around for some yamadori.

Also take a look at any landscaping jobs you see being done this spring. It is becoming more and more popular to collect from old garden plants mainly because it is extremely cheap and takes care of the years of ground growing for you. Just make sure you watch closely and ask if you see some work being done. I believe several people frequent craigslist for opportunities as well.

You did mention you liked pines in another thread I believe. Have you looked at junipers or yews? Both of these can be found fairly readily at your local nurseries and could be a good substitute. Either species is extremely resilient for a beginner and might kind of have that pine-ish feel to it that you like. Just make sure you keep asking when you find something you like. Even if it is hard for us to judge by a picture, it will keep you from making the mistake we all have made - buying something just to buy something. It is ok to go home empty handed!

Good luck!

Nubster

Sapling
Reaction score
I've looked for some Junipers but the couple places I have been had any out yet. I'll also keep my eyes open for anyone tearing out their old landscaping. Thanks again for the help.

Top Bottom