Chamaecyparis obtusa

jd_bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I need some strong advice on this hinoki cypress. I've had it two years.
First year it was in a #7 nursery pot (super root bound)
It's been in the current grow box for about 14 months. It's healthy, but very leggy and ugly..
Need to clean trunk of moss , but other than that" any style advice ? Anyone?
Thanks.

Attachments

• 20190121_104241.jpg
    20190121_104241.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 20190121_104719.jpg
    20190121_104719.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 181

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hinoki are notorious for not back budding, so once you cut off the internal foliage on the branches it is gone, you won’t get it back. About the only thing you can do for leggy branches is a method called foreshortening—some pretty fancy bending. This visually reduces the lengths of these branches.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hinoki are notorious for not back budding, so once you cut off the internal foliage on the branches it is gone, you won’t get it back. About the only thing you can do for leggy branches is a method called foreshortening—some pretty fancy bending. This visually reduces the lengths of these branches.
I agree, you must be careful not to remove growth you may need later. You still have enough growth that you could move into a design but you have to ---- dare I use the word (?) pinch ---- the ends of the new growth to keep the tree putting forth new growth on the interior of the tree or it will only continue growing outwards.DSC_0663 copy 2.JPG

jd_bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sorry for the really LOW QUALITY photos, but it's the best I could get at the time.

Yeah this tree was (unfortunately) worked on, in what looks like a rather abrupt/uneducated way, at some point before it was given to me.
I still see some kind of potential in it though, and I like hinokis in general. It will never be an upright or even informal styled tree. Idk what kind of style I can work towards with this tree.

Also, I am aware of the lack of backbudding bc of its species. I think I will start "pinching" the very new growth and see what opens up back further in on the tree....

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You have discovered what I have been teaching for years; prejudging and attempting to make a tree conform to some design you happen to think is good does not usually work.Here is a tree I got at a nursery that is similar to your tree. It is not now a masterpiece and may never be one at my hands but I can see a direction with what I have.DSC_0648 copy.JPG

jd_bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You have discovered what I have been teaching for years; prejudging and attempting to make a tree conform to some design you happen to think is good does not usually work.Here is a tree I got at a nursery that is similar to your tree. It is not now a masterpiece and may never be one at my hands but I can see a direction with what I have.View attachment 224581

Thanks for your advice and encouragement!

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel your pain. I have no great advice as I'm in the same boat. You have got some good advice as have I from Vance and others. Yours looks healthier than mine and read up on pinching new growth. I've been afraid to try it yet as my tree has been in constant recovery mode. Some good advice given to me on this thread about my Challenger. Good luck and I'll be watching this thread.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/underdogs-hinoki-challenger.35828/

jd_bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I really hate it, but I lost this one this summer...
It was moved to another house that I regularly go to, but it was so damn hot here this summer that just a week or so without water did it in.. probably going to hold on to the wood for carving practice :)
I have two or three other hinokis which are much younger , so I’ll continue to learn.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Holy smokes man: You said---- it was so damn hot here this summer that just a week or so without water did it in. One of the reasons Hinokis are not grown more in Japan or more by professionals is because they demand more attention to care. One ot two weeks without water will kill a camel an Hinoki Cypress needs at least two waterings a day, three if it's hot. That's why you are losing them your care for the tree is lacking.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
I would embrace the look of a coastal cypress, with multiple smaller, well-defined pads, with room for the wind to flow between them.
View attachment 224647
What you illustrate here is the use of real world examples of beautiful trees as the models for your wanna be bonsai. Ryan Neal constantly refers to this as the best practice for "American" bonsai creation. Still leaving the Japanese art form as a great goal as well. IMHO.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Holy smokes man: You said---- it was so damn hot here this summer that just a week or so without water did it in. One of the reasons Hinokis are not grown more in Japan or more by professionals is because they demand more attention to care. One ot two weeks without water will kill a camel an Hinoki Cypress needs at least two waterings a day, three if it's hot. That's why you are losing them your care for the tree is lacking.
That being said Vance, what are the signs of root rot to look out for so that you know when to back off on watering?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
That being said Vance, what are the signs of root rot to look out for so that you know when to back off on watering?
It takes a lot for an Hinoki to get root rot. However if you have been fertilizing your tree like you should and the tree starts looking yellow like an Aspen in fall you are watering too much and probably need to move the tree into partial shade.
What you illustrate here is the use of real world examples of beautiful trees as the models for your wanna be bonsai. Ryan Neal constantly refers to this as the best practice for "American" bonsai creation. Still leaving the Japanese art form as a great goal as well. IMHO.
I agree, our trees should reflect the local environment but making ugly trees while applying the title American Bonsai, are not mutually inclusive. Look to the methods of Japanese styling and perfecting to define these unique trees.

Top Bottom