Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Boulevard' Cypress

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey all,

Picked up this Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Boulevard' Cypress today at the local nursery. It was free for me, with my gift card from Christmas. I saw it and loved the trunk, which is about 2 inches across. I think I want to do an upright with it. Here are some shots, then the last one is my rough idea:

001-18.jpg

002-61.jpg

Back?
004-50.jpg

Front? (it has more of a rounded trunk in front, but flat in back):
005-45.jpg

Then my idea, cut the branches off on the left in red, yellow line is the branch to keep, green outlines the bottom portion of the tree:
005-46.jpg

Too drastic? Any other ideas? Thanks!

Ryan

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These are very hard to do as bonsai, as you get lots of inner foliage dieback and they are not prone to bud back on old wood. So, you might find that if you cut off the left half of the tree, that you won't have any live branches on that side of your new trunk line.

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey all,

Picked up this Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Boulevard' Cypress today at the local nursery. It was free for me, with my gift card from Christmas. I saw it and loved the trunk, which is about 2 inches across. I think I want to do an upright with it. Here are some shots, then the last one is my rough idea:

001-18.jpg

002-61.jpg

Back?
004-50.jpg

Front? (it has more of a rounded trunk in front, but flat in back):
005-45.jpg

Then my idea, cut the branches off on the left in red, yellow line is the branch to keep, green outlines the bottom portion of the tree:
005-46.jpg

Too drastic? Any other ideas? Thanks!

Ryan
Did you ever do anything with this? I am playing with a bunch of them and curious what others have had work?

Top Bottom