Chamaecyparis Pisifera 'Filifera Aurea'

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
I found a bunch of these at a nursery today, tall, slender, lots of movement and well she's bark. I thought upon seeing them they may be suitable for a forest planting and one or two for air layering the tops off and growing on. My research however hasn't come up with much information. Most search results seem to pull up the Boulevard variety of Sawara and aside from a couple of pictures of large regular Sawaras I can't find a lot else. These seem to have more cord like foliage than the regular Sawara so I'm guessing they won't be suitable but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these?

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Pretty unique foliage on those. Did you do a search for the straight species C. pisifera? I seem to recall seeing some done with the cloud style.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I found a bunch of these at a nursery today, tall, slender, lots of movement and well she's bark. I thought upon seeing them they may be suitable for a forest planting and one or two for air layering the tops off and growing on. My research however hasn't come up with much information. Most search results seem to pull up the Boulevard variety of Sawara and aside from a couple of pictures of large regular Sawaras I can't find a lot else. These seem to have more cord like foliage than the regular Sawara so I'm guessing they won't be suitable but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these?

Hi Snow,
This tree species seems to be a little tough to be a successful bonsai.
I am battling with - how to prune mine, wiring with aluminium seems to need a lot of time wired or for many seasons. Maybe copper wire be better. Also no back budding on old wood, say after 4-5 years so my attempt is more cloud like than bonsai.
Seems to make natural pads which is cool.
I have started my progression thread and am thinking of doing an update, but not much has changed.
AFBB9A88-438D-4C3E-BE2C-CE0E939470D8.jpegD5D50A88-9209-4577-9651-14F15B421AB6.jpeg

Hope this helps somewhat.
Charles

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Caution: These trees do not back bud reliably on old wood. It is important that you constantly reduce the foliage back into the branch as opposed to allowing it to extend outward. If you don't pay attention to this in a number of years you will only have pom pom branches.,

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A lot of die back requires constant cleanup and they don't break back buds. I never say never but generally it is a poor choice.

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
That's generally what I'd read about no back budding but this was why I was thinking a tall forest style as all of the plants available have tall, skinny trunks with all the branching up top and close to the trunk.
I just don't know how well the strand like foliage will ramify and how it would look. Wish I'd taken pictures but I didn't consider it until I was home.
Is yours a boulevard @KiwiPlantGuy ?

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That's generally what I'd read about no back budding but this was why I was thinking a tall forest style as all of the plants available have tall, skinny trunks with all the branching up top and close to the trunk.
I just don't know how well the strand like foliage will ramify and how it would look. Wish I'd taken pictures but I didn't consider it until I was home.
Is yours a boulevard @KiwiPlantGuy ?

Hi Snow,
Yes, boulevard it is. These back bud fine on 1-3 year growth, but bare branches like my pom-pom bottom 3, will never get better. I have only been training mine for a couple of years, but it sat in a nursery can for at least 4-5 years, hence - dead growth on internal branches. Ramifiies real easy as you can cut back/pinch all season long. Photo below is 1 year ago
C0E9C977-C8EA-4884-A641-D8B000019B62.jpeg
Charles

mark_g

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
20180720_125358.jpg
I bought mine as a nursery stock and been growing it since 2012.. When i got it, it was only bout less than a pencil thick. They are very slow grower. But this is only pot grown since i had it. I treat it like a hinoki. They like water and fertilizer.. And lots of sun. But dont let it dry out.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
View attachment 228473
I bought mine as a nursery stock and been growing it since 2012.. When i got it, it was only bout less than a pencil thick. They are very slow grower. But this is only pot grown since i had it. I treat it like a hinoki. They like water and fertilizer.. And lots of sun. But dont let it dry out.
Please finish your profile, your location is important to both the input from us and in determining the relevance of responses from you.

mark_g

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Please finish your profile, your location is important to both the input from us and in determining the relevance of responses from you.[/QUOTE
Please finish your profile, your location is important to both the input from us and in determining the relevance of responses from you.

Well, im located in toronto canada.. So basically, we only get 5 to 6 months growing season. This plant is actually the one of the first 2 plants that i bought since i started learning/growing bonsai. And i killed a lot, since then. Haha

Top Bottom