Champions

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
No kidding - makes me mad. I pamper my trees like nobodies business and they die. This guy paves right over his and they do fine. There is no justice.

Maybe I'm not using enough asphalt.
Same principal as adding moss to a newly repotted tree to keep the soil damp- except better! With asphalt it NEVER DRIES OUT- no need for all that annoying watering and stuff!

Slow Learner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Many of the branches are covered with these beautiful ferns, giving the branches a green appearance from a distance.

Resurrection fern (Pleopeltis polypodioides)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleopeltis_polypodioides

Resurrection fern grows on live oaks in Florida. The fern shrivels up and browns when water is less available and greens up and spreads when water is available.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Resurrection fern (Pleopeltis polypodioides)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleopeltis_polypodioides

Resurrection fern grows on live oaks in Florida. The fern shrivels up and browns when water is less available and greens up and spreads when water is available.

Thanks Slow Learner! I've head of those before, but I didn't know that's what these were. Pretty cool, but they don't just grow in Florida. Perfect fern for a cemetery... Don't know if I'll go back.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I regularly park beneath the canopy of the largest Bur Oak (Q. macrocarpa? I think that's right) in the state of SC. I've take pictures of it before, but I'll try to get another (or find them). I've also got pictures of the Angel Oak, which I don't believe is a Champion, but it has ...presence. My wife has just about come to terms with me pulling off the side of the road to look at or take a picture of a really impressive tree. My kids, not so much.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here's a Jr. in Ventura to the Moreton Bay Fig in Santa Barbara. I've been by it many times but just today noticed the fused branch in the upper right of the photo. It looks like a branch grew into the crotch of another and then fused and was cut.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    376.5 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    361.5 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    352.1 KB · Views: 98

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Really nice tree, hemmy. Thanks for sharing it.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here's what I think is the biggest Bald Cypress on the San Antonio Riverwalk, the Ben Milam Cypress. Again not a nominated champion, but my estimate is 410pts. Reportedly, 90' height, 98' canopy spread, 24.5' circumference below the twin trunk spread. Oddly no knees surrounding it, like many on the cypress on the river walk. The 2nd image has my drink for scale (the drink is 35' wide, lol).

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    477.2 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    363.7 KB · Views: 84

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here's what I think is the biggest Bald Cypress on the San Antonio Riverwalk, the Ben Milam Cypress. Again not a nominated champion, but my estimate is 410pts. Reportedly, 90' height, 98' canopy spread, 24.5' circumference below the twin trunk spread. Oddly no knees surrounding it, like many on the cypress on the river walk. The 2nd image has my drink for scale (the drink is 35' wide, lol).

Nice Hemmy. It's a good one, no doubt. And the margarita for scale is 100% appropriate.

Scott

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Last year at naples zoo awesome trees planted by a doctor about 80-100 years or so ago.
View attachment 105008 View attachment 105009 View attachment 105010
One more deadwood thing worth seeing. This is not the Quinault Big Cedar or a champion at all really, but some random Douglas Firs in the Olympics. I don't think I've ever put this many jins on a tree. Have any of you?

View attachment 105332 View attachment 105334
The bark on these look like Sitka Spruce?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
these are from big basin in nor cal, giant reds, its crazy to look at photos of the trees they killed in the 1800's that were so much bigger than these even. Man I came across some ancient Beech on my new hunting property, I wonder what the measurements are on the record american beech..
339996_10100356455222792_1908325245_o.jpg
these
326691_10100356451979292_1651622643_o.jpg

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
these are from big basin in nor cal, giant reds, its crazy to look at photos of the trees they killed in the 1800's that were so much bigger than these even. Man I came across some ancient Beech on my new hunting property, I wonder what the measurements are on the record american beech..
339996_10100356455222792_1908325245_o.jpg
these
326691_10100356451979292_1651622643_o.jpg

Glad you posted these Waltron. Impressive trees.

Scott

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
there is this giant white oak I came across in farmington hills MI, just sitting on this dirt road on the corner of some crop feilds, I got out to look at this thing one time and uncovered a sign that said it was the state record oak.. cant find the photo, and i remember I didn't get a good one.. The old state record acer negundo, or boxelder is sittin in my moms front yard, one of the giant trunks died and fell over so its not the record anymore technically but the giant is still alive.. ill have to snap a photo of its current state sometime, big piece of the dead trunk is sitting next to it still, but it doesn't do it justice. I found a really impressive american elm on a new hunting property that must be ancient.. i feel it could be a record due to the elm disease.... i know of two other white oak and cotton wood on another hunting property that i need to measure the bases on... giants. love these dinosaurs.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
there is this giant white oak I came across in farmington hills MI, just sitting on this dirt road on the corner of some crop feilds, I got out to look at this thing one time and uncovered a sign that said it was the state record oak.. cant find the photo, and i remember I didn't get a good one.. The old state record acer negundo, or boxelder is sittin in my moms front yard, one of the giant trunks died and fell over so its not the record anymore technically but the giant is still alive.. ill have to snap a photo of its current state sometime, big piece of the dead trunk is sitting next to it still, but it doesn't do it justice. I found a really impressive american elm on a new hunting property that must be ancient.. i feel it could be a record due to the elm disease.... i know of two other white oak and cotton wood on another hunting property that i need to measure the bases on... giants. love these dinosaurs.

Post'em up! I love these trees too.

Scott

Top Bottom