Champions

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here is a giant Sycamore tree in Great Falls, VA that we came across while hiking last weekend. View attachment 120597

Nice sycamore BonsaiMobius - always great to see a big old tree. Especially sitting here in my office. Reminds me that it's about time to go home!

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
randomly found a photo of this giant, photo quality is terrible and doesn't do it justice.. this sucker is massive though. that photo is from 2014, in Oakland county Michigan.
View attachment 126568 View attachment 126569

Looks like a big one - if you ever run across a better picture be sure to post it! Not familiar with a Schuette Oak.

S

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think its a guy's name who owns the property, actually im pretty sure thats the case, its how they name the trees in the register I believe, because thatIMG_9723.JPG s how to the one in my mom's yard is named as well.
I think Vance lives near Rochester hills, oakland county, maybe he can snap a few. I think its a white oak.

Attachments

• IMG_9718.JPG
    IMG_9718.JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 60

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score

The Jardine Juniper in Logan Canyon, Utah. This pleasant hike takes you to one of the most popular landmarks of the Logan Canyon area, an ancient, still living, juniper tree. The age of the tree is estimated at about 1500 years old,... [making it] the oldest known Rocky Mountain juniper.

Hiked to this many years ago when I was in college...

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

The Jardine Juniper in Logan Canyon, Utah. This pleasant hike takes you to one of the most popular landmarks of the Logan Canyon area, an ancient, still living, juniper tree. The age of the tree is estimated at about 1500 years old,... [making it] the oldest known Rocky Mountain juniper.

Hiked to this many years ago when I was in college...

Very cool - motivated me to look it up. It's a Rocky Mt Juniper. I think that one tuft of foliage is the only living bit. Thanks for sharing it.

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
A Harvey update for the Champions thread. Hurricane Harvey made landfall near a town called Rockport, TX. Goose Island State Park near Rockport is home to one of the nations champion live oaks, the 1000 year old "Big Tree". You can read all about it here:

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/goose-island/the-big-tree

Here are the stats:
  • Trunk circumference: 35 feet 1.75 inches or 10.71 meters
  • Average trunk diameter: 11 feet 2.25 inches or 3.41 meters
  • Crown spread: 89 feet or 27.1 meters
  • Height: 44 feet or 13.4 meters
It's one of the biggest and oldest live oaks in the nation.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I was worried the Big Tree didn't weather the storm, but I have it on good authority that it's still standing, but many nearby smaller trees are down. I guess one doesn't get that old by being weak. Here's a picture of Big Tree - an American Champion and still standing after Harvey.

IMG_9764.JPG

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
43ED4881-908C-4684-8B3C-F58A825CCDB3.jpeg

The BIGGEST Oak Tree in the United Kingdom and one of the most impressive oak trees in the world! This tree is called "Majesty, the Fredville Oak". It's growing in Fredville Park, Nonington, Dover, England
Photo credit: Wolfgang Schürmann

1. Facebook Page "Ancient Forests and Champion Trees".
2. Facebook Group "Big Tree Hunters".
3. Instagram @biggesttrees

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
4775FBCE-BE96-499E-B45B-37246F920985.jpeg

1,000-year-old Takizakura, or “waterfall cherry,” whose drooping branches seem to send rivers of blossoms flowing toward the ground each spring. The largest shidarezakura (weeping cherry) in the country is considered one of the “three great cherry trees” of Japan.

Credit: http://www.nippon.com/en/views/b053101/

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Japanese Black Pine, Japan, cared for by Bonsai masters and their students for over six centuries. On the grounds of a Buddhist Temple. The perspective reminds us of the importance of foundation in Bonsai.
Photo Credit: Ross Corrigan 2011

Attachments

• IMG_2305.JPG
    IMG_2305.JPG
    427.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2306.JPG
    IMG_2306.JPG
    481.2 KB · Views: 81

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Japanese Black Pine, Japan, cared for by Bonsai masters and their students for over six centuries. On the grounds of a Buddhist Temple. The perspective reminds us of the importance of foundation in Bonsai.
Photo Credit: Ross Corrigan 2011

Awesome tree and story!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
randomly found a photo of this giant, photo quality is terrible and doesn't do it justice.. this sucker is massive though. that photo is from 2014, in Oakland county Michigan.
View attachment 126568 View attachment 126569

The Schuette's oak is a hybrid oak, (macrocarpa x bicolor) which is Burr oak x swamp white oak. Faster growing than either parent, good lumber, good production of acorns for wildlife. If you are willing to do the work of leaching out the tannins, humans can eat the acorns too.

Might be okay for bonsai, though the Burr oak species has a more coarse bark than Schuette's or swamp white oaks. I'd rather work with Burr oak for the bark.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I don’t know if it’s a champion, but it’s one of the biggest banyan trees I’ve ever been next to. From aerial root to aerial root in opposite sides of the trunk the tree spans 105’. The diameter of the central trunk (really just a fused collection of hundreds of aerial roots) is approximately 35’. So the circumference is approximately 110’. The width is about 210’ and the height about 110’. Here are some pictures:
23B60C30-B210-40D2-95FE-E13FB144A07E.jpeg974C3CFA-85EC-4EAA-92C5-A6F641BD8516.jpeg

Top Bottom