Change in temperature.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey everyone!

Not all of us get to enjoy wonderful warm weather all year long. For the people who get to shovel snow and rake leaves where do you work on your bonsai once it's cold outside?
Is there anything wrong with bringing them indoors for short times (an hour or 2) to do the work needed then put them back outside.
I know it might be an obvious answer that the temperature changes might be harsh for the plants but I figure I'd ask. Maybe some of you do this and don't have any problems and I won't have to worry about freezing my twig and berrys off.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
In MA., I generally did no work on my trees from December to March as they were usually stuck in a pile of frozen mulch during that time. If the tree was movable but the weather still cold, I would work them in a 3 season porch, making sure they would only spend a few hours in a warmer location. I did spend a wonderful afternoon in mid March wiring a shohin yew in front of a hot fire in my livingroom...I made sure to keep my body between the tree and the fire and the tree did fine. Where I live now in N. GA, the trees require less protection because the winters are milder, but it still gets cold enough that I miss that 3 season porch!

Dave

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Great answer Dave!
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the input :)

Top Bottom